twenty-seven | first draft

Ellie's fingertips brush along Cooper's chest, her head delicately resting on the pillow next to his

Ellie's fingertips brush along Cooper's chest, her head delicately resting on the pillow next to his. When her eyes land on a certain sparkly vampire's face on Cooper's t-shirt, a smile creeps onto her lips, her eyes travelling down to her own matching shirt.

Cooper reaches for her hand on his chest, bringing it up to his lips and placing a soft kiss to the back of it. She peers through her eyelashes, her gaze connecting with his. A tired smile tugs at his lips as he stares back at her and mumbles a quiet, "I'm sorry."

Her smile fades. "Don't be."

"I know you really wanted to go to Forks." He pauses, his tongue slipping out to wet his lips before he's reaching to his bedside table for his water.

"It was more of an ironic thing," she admits, looking down to his chest briefly before her eyes return to his face. He tilts his head back as he drinks from the glass. "I thought it'd be funny."

He smiles, his mouth still closed as he swallows its contents before letting out a deep chuckle. "It would have been. The matching t-shirts were a nice touch." He glances down to his shirt, pulling it up so he can get a better look at it. "Though I was more of a team Jacob."

She scoffs playfully, rolling her eyes. "Well then I'm glad I didn't go to Forks with you. Edward was clearly the better choice."

He laughs again, his hand squeezing the slightest bit around hers. "Do you really want to have this argument? Because we can have this argument."

"I'd rather not have a Twilight-themed argument with you." Her eyes crinkle with delight. "Maybe some other time."

He doesn't say anything for a while, just staring at her in silence with her hand in his. His eyes drift shut, the warmth of their bodies next to each other causing a sleepy haze to fall over him. When he realizes what's happening, he's quick to force his eyes back open. "I really am sorry."

"Stop apologizing."

"I just don't feel good today." He yawns, his heavy eyes falling shut once more. "I'm so tired."

Her eyes study the dark bags under his and a sudden sick feeling makes its way to her stomach. If he feels half as sick as he looks, she can't even begin to imagine how bad he's feeling. "I can leave if you want. You could get some rest and I can come back when you're feeling better."

"Absolutely not."

"Cooper. You really should rest."

"Then rest with me."

He doesn't give her a chance to answer as he makes his way out of the bed. She nearly protests, wanting to force him back into his bed, but no words come out. He weakly makes his way across the room, searching in one of his drawers before pulling out a DVD. Ellie squints, trying to get a read on what movie he's grabbed but having no luck. When he inserts it into the DVD player and the Twilight main menu pops up, a smile returns to her lips.