Three

The Report came on a week later to announce the Selection results. I waited in front of the television anxiously, wringing my hands at my belt and fiddling with a ravelling on my jeans. My little sisters, Ophelia and Alice, surrounded me on my spot on the floor, giving me backup in case I got chosen.

  "Hello, and welcome to the Report," announced Stan. Crowds cheered around him. "Today we're going to cover some news before our very own Prince Charlie declares the chosen ladies for his Selection."

  The camera panned over to the prince and I noticed him blushing. Huh. Who would've thought the royalty would be embarrassed by a silly show host?

  Stan went on and brought up the king to go over the daily announcements before he trotted over to the prince. "Your majesty, are you ready to show us your decisions?"

  Prince Charles nodded silently and rose up to view his choices. "The first Selected lady," he said with a clear voice, "is Miss Noel Palmer of Lakedon." An image of a pretty girl with light blond hair and grey eyes fills the screen. I can only imagine what that girl and her family must be feeling about this. Probably celebrating or maybe mourning the temporary loss of their daughter. Who knows?

  The prince whips out the next envelope with precision. "The second selected lady is Miss Adela Young of Allens." This time the girl has light brown hair and iridescent coppery eyes. We went through a number of entries before Prince Charlie reached my province. "And from Kent," the prince said, folding out a crease in the envelope, "we have Miss Harlow Davy."

  The silence that followed in the room was eminent. The Report continued on like nothing had happened, but my world was spinning and crashing before my eyes. I was going to Angeles. I was going to Angeles.

  James was the first to react. "Whoa," he breathed. "Harlow--you're in the Selection!"

  "I know, I can't believe it either," I gushed. "When do I have to leave?"

  "Sweetie, this is great!" My mother came over to hug me. "I don't know on that one, though."

  My father clapped a strong hand to my shoulder. "Don't let that boy get to you, Harlow," he chuckled.

   "I won't," I reassured him. This was crazy! My head was spinning. I couldn't even think straight.

   At that moment the old telephone decided to ring. My brother picked up. "It's for you, Harlow," he said, handing me the phone.

   I took the telephone. "Hello?"

  "This is Drew Steiner of Angeles and I'm pleased to announce that you, Harlow Davy, have been entered and drawn in our very own Prince Charlie's Selection."

  I didn't know what to say to that. "That's me."

  "Good. You'll be required to attend the Selection this Friday." I checked my mental calendar. Friday...today was Wednesday. I had one more day to spend with my family before I was flown off to Angeles. I'd have to make the most of it. "A private jet will be arriving at the nearest airport to pick you up. Be there promptly at 10:30 this Friday morning. Alright?" I nodded before remembering that she probably couldn't see me.

  "Yeah," I replied.

  "Good. Remember, 10:30." Drew hung up without waiting for an answer. I fell back onto the rugged couch cushions. What was I going to do? I was tied down to a strict schedule, to a possible future life as princess...it was a lot to take in.

  Ophelia tapped my shoulder, interrupting my raging thoughts. "We should probably get to bed," she said. "It's getting late and you look like you could use some rest. We'll have a long day tomorrow."