Eight

Dinner was delicious. My maids had dressed me in a lovely cobalt blue number with shining, black patent sandals, perfect for a walk through the gardens. They had curled my blond locks and pinned back two twists on each side of my face to keep it out of my way.

  I had avoided speaking to the prince, or anyone as a whole, throughout the meal. I had just tried my best to focus on my spinach and cranberry salad. Yvonne, who had been sitting next to me, attempted to make small talk a few times, but I answered her simply, ending our conversations.

  When I returned to my room, my maids immediately brushed out my curls and helped me into a pair of shimmering silk pajamas with matching gold-encrusted slippers. I curled up under my blankets as Eliza, my new favorite maid, dabbed the makeup off of my face with a damp cloth. She was the smallest of my maids but I was certain that she was strong and that she would do her best to take care of me.

  "How was dinner?" she asked curiously as she carefully removed the pins from my brushed-out hair.

  "Fine," I replied stiffly.

  She raised her eyebrows. "Just fine?"

  "Yes."

  She remained quizzical-looking but didn't press any further. She probably knew that she wouldn't be getting anything out of me. I was naturally quiet person, I mostly preferred to just keep to myself.

  "Good night, Lady Harlow." Eliza rose up from her perch on the edge of my bed and crossed to my bedroom door.

  I didn't respond. I was already falling into a deep slumber.

~~~~ 

  The next morning I awoke to Bedelia shaking me. "It's time to get up, Lady Harlow," she told me. I slowly sat up and glanced around my room. Ginevra stood a few feet back, watching silently as Bedelia woke me. Eliza was nowhere to be seen.

  "Where's Eliza?" I asked, propping myself up on my elbows.

  Bedelia glanced over at Ginevra who raised her eyebrows. "She's ill," she said.

  Oh no. Had I gotten her sick? "Don't sorry, Lady Harlow, this has nothing to do with you," Ginevra told me gently, walking over and placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Eliza has just been going through...a lot of stress lately."

  "Will she be alright?" Now I felt extra bad for giving her the cold shoulder.

  "Of course," Bedelia said kindly. "If I know my sister correctly, I know she's stronger than a rock if something gets in her way. She'll be fine." I nodded. I believed her but I did still feel badly for making Eliza's already hard enough life even worse. "Now, shall we get you ready for breakfast? I've heard you have a date with the prince today."

  I smiled. "I wouldn't call it a date. It's just to make up for lost time, I guess, since my first meeting with him was ruined."

  Bedelia grinned. "Excellent job on that, by the way. I meant to congratulate you earlier. Some of the other maids have been talking and they think you planned that vomiting mess intentionally to arrange more time with the prince. They're bound to tell their ladies about you and your cleverness." She smiled pridefully.

  I beamed. "That's great!"

  Bedelia laughed. "Isn't it?"

  "Shall we get started on today's wardrobe?"

  She nodded but I could tell that our conversation had not yet left her. Her mind was elsewhere. "Yes..." She dug back through the closet again until she found what she was looking for. "Here's the dress we thought would be best for a garden date. It should be warm outside today, as usual, so I doubt you'll need a jacket." The day dress was a soft, buttery yellow color with a sunny lace overlay on the skirt and flutter sleeves.

  "It's lovely!" I exclaimed, rushing over to feel the soft fabric. It felt like a dream.

  Bedelia grinned. "And you haven't even seen the best part yet." She held up a pair of white and brown contrasting Oxfords.

  "Oh my," I gasped, grabbing the shoes and feeling the soft leather. They were beautiful!

  Bedelia laughed. "Well, go ahead, try them on!" I unlaced the shoes and gently slid them onto my feet. They were perfect.

  "Thank you," I said.

  "No problem. Let's begin on you hair now, Ginevra has been waiting long enough."

  I blushed. "Sorry, Ginevra." They fiddled with my hair until it rained down in long, blond ringlets. Ginevra braided a section and tucked it back behind my ear. I looked stunning. None of my dresses shared the same flashy and happy characteristics as this one; it would certainly be a showstopper. "Wow," I gaped.

  "Oh, Lady Harlow, you look absolutely breathtaking!" I flinched at her words, not because I was ungrateful for her compliment, but because that was what my mother had said after my Selection entry photo. I missed her. I hoped that my family was doing okay back in Kent.

  "Thanks," I forced myself to say.

  Bedelia came over and gently held my arm. "Everything okay, Miss?"

  I shook my head, clearing the sad thoughts. "Yes. Now, I think it's time to get ready for breakfast, right?"

  ~~~~

    Hey, guys! I just wanted to say that this outfit for Harlow is inspired by Emma Stone's yellow dress and shoes in La La Land. It isn't the exact same but they're similar. I also wantto mention hat though I have edited the book, its's still not great. I don't want to go over it again because I find it fun to just write the story :) Thanks! :)

-R