-Welcome to your new home-

I just want to say that I am aware of Thomas' homosexuality, and I totally respect it. I just made him heterosexual in this fanfic because I know that many girls (including me) really love his character and would like to read a story where they could connect more with his lover. Again, I have nothing against homosexuals, or bisexuals, or pansexuals, or anything. On those words, Enjoy !
-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

As I got out of the train after a long ride, I started to wonder : How on earth will I get to Downtown without having any plan where I'm going ?

Looking down at my old boots, I saw an apple rolling down at my feet. I picked it up and looked around me to see if anyone was looking for it, or dropped its bag. A man that seemed in his early twenties looked at me and motioned at the apple I was holding. It seemed so delicious, so juicy and good.

"You can keep it, miss. I've got plenty of them in my bag. I'm Tom Branson. And you are ?" He asked me, a big smile on his face.

"My name is Gabrielle Bildert, sir. Hum... do you know the way to Downtown Abbey ? I'm new in this part of the country and never traveled much..." I tried, hoping that he would just show me the way.

"What a great coincidence! I'm going to Downtown too ! It may seem that I am their new chauffeur ! Do you want a ride ?"

"Of course, but I don't want to disturb you... I can walk, if you prefer." He hopped in a car, and patted the seat next to him.

"Of course it's alright ! Hop in, Miss Bildert. What are you doing at Downtown?" He asked, riding through the small forest.

"Please, call me Gabrielle, and... I'm applying for a Maid's job. Mister Matthew... I can't remember his last name... oh, shame on me... refered me there."

"Matthew Crawley. Why are you looking for a job at such a young age ? I mean... you don't look over 17 !" He added, letting out a small laugh.

"Actually, I'm fourteen. And... I don't want to talk about it. Sorry."

The rest of the trip passed in silence, and I admired the beautiful landscapes. Where I lived before, there were always noises, honks, pollution. I could never truly relax. But here... all was so bright, beautiful, pure ! I closed my eyes and let the wind blow in my face. I genuinely smiled for the first time this week.

"Here we are, Gabrielle !" Tom announced as we parked in front of a majestic castle. "Close your mouth, you'll catch flies !" He added with a laugh.

"Thank you very much, Branson. For the ride and..." I searched through my bag and raised an object" For the apple !"

He raised his hat and walked to what seemed to be a back door. Gathering my courage, I rang the bell two times. Seconds later, a tall man with grey hair and bushy brows looked at me, a small pout on his face.

"Hi. What can I help you with ?" His deep voice echoed in my body.

"Hello. I'm Gabrielle Bildert, and I heard from Sir Matthew Crawley that you were doing interviews for the job of a house maid."
I told him, twitching my hands.

"Very well. If you would like to follow me, I will lead you to Lord Grantham." We made our way up the stairs and entered a beautiful library.

"Lord Grantham," A man in his early fifties turned around on his chair. I bowed in front of him. " May I present to you a candidate for the post of House Made, Gabrielle Bildert. She's really interested for the job, and sir Matthew Crawley leaded her here, at Downtown."

"Very well. But tell me, my dear... How old are you ? You seem quite young ! But Carson, if you think that she can complete the job properly, I give you the right to engage her as a maid." He said, looking at my with a warm smile.

"I'm fourteen, milord. And I hope that I can serve your family, I'm very interested in the job."

"Do you have any experience ?" I nodded. I had been a maid when my family was at the front, but I lost the job because of an accident. The younger children, Jon, got strangled in the curtains, and they all blamed it on me. "For the moment, we will only make you clean around the house and help in the kitchen, but if you show your ability, we should be able to make you help the ladies to dress up."

I smiled widely, knowing what that meant. I got the job ! Trying to regain composure in front of Lord Grantham, I bowed and thanked him.

"Welcome to your new home, Gabrielle. I hope you'll enjoy it, here." He added, before turning his back at us and writing down a letter.

Carson and I left the library and went down the stairs. I followed him in a room that seemed to be a small dining room, probably for the staff. A couple of people were chatting at the table. When they saw Mr. Carson, they all immediately stood up, and the room felt silent. 

"Before supper, I would like you to meet Gabrielle Bildert, our new house maid." Everyone's eyes were stuck on me, and I felt very uncomfortable with that. Carson looked at his pocket watch and said with regret :

"Oh... I'm sorry, but I must go. Mrs. Hugues, can you introduce her to everyone, and Anna,  you can show her around." With those words, he wandered off.

"Hi Gabrielle. I'm Mrs Hugues, and I direct some of the things going on with the staff, along with Mr.Carson." She had a motherly look on her face, and very soft features. "This is Anna, the Head HouseMaid. You will be sharing a room with her, and she will be teaching you how things are here." Anna waved at me. She seemed very sweet, with her blue eyes and blonde hair, the same as me. "This is Mr Bates, and this is William. The Valet and Second Footman." I smiled at them shyly. "Welcome !" Said Mr Bates. "And this is Thomas Barrow, the first footman." I looked at him and was astonished by the way he looked. He had hair  as black as coal slicked down on his head and a very fair skin. His high cheekbones added even more charm into him and oh... Those eyes... A mix between green, blue, and grey. The only thing that surprised me was the look on his face. A neutral look, as if he was not human.

"Welcome to Downtown, Gabrielle". He said, looking at me.