28: Promise

So many thoughts raced through my mind on the short walk back to the cave. And the worst one of all was that flitting, narrow lift of hope that maybe, with Chiro on our side at least temporarily, maybe we could do this. I didn't want to stop to even consider the thought that we all might manage to escape with our lives (or afterlives, as the hellish case may be) because I knew that wouldn't happen. A sense of betrayal and the undercurrent of suspicion that settled over me was more a relief than a burden. It kept me in the moment, kept me from spending too long looking at those sullen, dirty faces and wondering which of us was next.

Just outside the shadowed cave I made my formal introduction at last.

A single night had given me more mouths than I knew how to feed or protect. I was nervous just saying good morning. Luckily, most of them seemed somewhat self-sufficient and willing to tolerate me. Chiro's band had had a bit of an easier go than Dakota, Dot, Val and the unfortunate few in my party. Speaking of Dot, she was still having a time of it with Chiro around. The woman dug her dirty toenails into the bare ground and refused to come out of the cave. She stayed there beside the ashes of the dead fire, until she'd calmed herself from sobs to weak sniffles. I felt bad about keep her so near him, but he was here and I'd rather she get some exposure to him now than to be surprised further down the trail when things got more dangerous.

A young woman named Bree was quick to announce her preference for the wall of grumpy muscle stationed to my right. Glancing over my shoulder at the grey-eyed demon, I couldn't help but agree with her. He gave a non-committal shrug and helped Dakota off the horse. So I squared up my shoulders, took a calm breath and politely told Bree that  I didn't care who she'd rather be with; the name of the game was survival, and to do that she'd have to listen to myself, Chiro, and Dakota.

"Her, too?" The girl asking, rubbing welcome sunshine on her dark skin. Her eyes followed Dakota's hand on Chiro's shoulder as she dismounted. "She's one of us."

Val hopped from her latest perch with a soft thump. Dusting her hands of bark, she moved over to Bree and said, "Y'all ain't seen how she puts herself on the line."

Bree brushed curls from her face. "She's still human. If you two go down she can't win."

Before the blonde could muster her own comeback, which probably included more colorful language, I interceded, pacing almost restless around the group of women until I could circle back beside Chiro and Dakota. "Look," I began, gathering my thoughts through the receding headache. "I don't care what she is or who she was before the Hunt. I care about what she's done since. She's stuck her neck out and proven she can hang with the likes of Chiro."

With an exaggerated sigh, Bree, a college student who'd been hiking in Utah when she'd been taken, switched her attention from my designated deputy onto me. "And what's so special about you, your Ladyship? What can you do that he can't?" She nodded to Chiro, who really couldn't have looked more disinterested if he tried.

Nervousness fluttered against my stomach as I looked from Bree to other expectant faces. My hand found Shail's chin as he sunned himself beside me. Somehow petting him calmed me just enough.

"Let's hope it doesn't come to that," I said curtly. From the look in my eye she must've known I meant it, or figured it wasn't worth pushing further. And I really did mean what I'd said; if our lives depended on my frosty abilities, we were screwed.

Bree rested her elbows on her knees as she leaned forward. "Why's he helping you?"

"Because he has plans after the Hunt," I explained, trying to project a confident tone to suggest I knew (and approved) of said plans. "And if you want to have plans, too, you'll show respect where it's due. Dakota earned her right to lead. Until you've done the same, I'll kindly ask that you each do your jobs and do them well. Help each other. Listen to each other. Whether you like who's sitting next to you or not, we're in this together. And together is how we get out."