Best Friends

Sasha grabs your hand and pulls you into the dance crowd

Sasha grabs your hand and pulls you into the dance crowd. Smiling at you, he starts doing exaggerated dance movements. You laugh at him. Sasha was your best friend and he could always make you laugh with his antics. You dance along with him, however a lot better than him, as you were actually a dancer. You were teaching Sasha to dance, but he was a very fun loving guy who was very rarely serious. He could be serious when the occasion warranted it, but he would rather be care free. You two get lost in the beat of the music, having a mini competition. All of the sudden you hear your name called out over the sound system.

It's your dance partner, Marco. He calls your name again. "C'mon up, honey. C'mon up and let's show these people what dance really is."

Your mouth twists in a grimace. Marco knew how much you didn't like performing in front of a crowd when you went out dancing with your friends. Why he felt the need to do so each time, you never understood. It was not your favourite thing to do. You just wanted a chance to relax, have fun and not have the pressure to perform once in a while. Marco loved the limelight and would use any excuse to get in the limelight. Often, he pulled you along with him, and due to the pressure of the crowd, you couldn't say no, or risk looking rude in front a huge crowd of people you didn't know. Marco and you had a huge reputation around the world. You were trying to find a way to tell Marco that he needed to find a new partner because his love of the limelight was becoming too much for you.

Turning to look at Sasha, you move your mouth to his ear, "I'm sorry. I have to dance. But I'll be right back okay? Please don't go anywhere."

Sasha puts his hand on your arm. "When are you going to tell him?" he says into your ear.

"Soon." Patting his arm, you kiss his cheek and head up on stage to meet your partner. You shoot your partner an annoyed look. He just grins back at you. He grabs your hand and twirls you into his body, you go with it, coming flush along his body. He gives you a kiss on the lips. You glance up at him in surprise. What the heck?

He just continues grinning at you. You push him away from you, annoyed. He speaks to the crowd, "You guys ready for a show?!" The crowd hollers back excitedly. "Alright! Maestro, hit it!"

A bass heavy techno song pours out over the sound system. You and Marco start dancing. As you two dance to the music, you notice he is being really handsy. More than usual. You wonder how much he has had to drink. You had known Marco since high school and remained his partner all through Julliard. You two had graduated two years ago and had been offered a contract right out of Julliard, travelling the world and making a name for yourselves. But you were tired of it. Well, if you honest with yourself, tired of Marco. You found yourself enjoying your sessions with Sasha more than your practices and routines with Marco. Marco had become increasingly difficult to be around as a partner. He was always in your space and lingering more than he should in holds that didn't require more than a second of contact. You thought it was just the amount of alcohol he had been consuming lately. Upon reflection, you realize that tonight he was stone cold sober. He hadn't touched a drop of it. When you and Sasha danced, he was respectful yet he was fun. Sometimes you thought his hands lingered, but you thought you imagined it because he would always make a glib remark afterward about your latest practice session. Sasha had come to you, asking you to learn to dance because he wanted to woo the ladies with it. Outwardly, you had smiled and laughed at him, saying he didn't need anything else to woo the ladies with, but you agreed to teach him. Inwardly, your heart broke a little. You weren't sure when you fell past liking your best friend. What you did know, is that you didn't want to ruin the great friendship you two had, so you would never tell him.

Marco shouts to you, "Let's do that move we've been practicing!"

"No!" you shout back. "It's not ready yet!"

Marco grabs you and starts to pull you into the complicated move you two had been practicing for two months. You two had not got it quite right yet. He would always miss catching you and you would fall from the high wire. You pull away, resisting. He pulls you back with ease, lifting you and putting you through the move. He almost drops you. He manages to catch you at the last minute. You glare at him. The two of you finish your dance. He grins and acknowledges the applause of the crowd. You push at him, walking past him, angry beyond belief. He grabs your arm to pull you into bowing for the crowd. You snatch your arm away and snarl at him, "Don't touch me. Stay away from me."

His eyes widen slightly, but his face never loses that smug grin. You walk off the stage. You are met by Sasha. His face is livid.

You are taken aback. You know why you are angry, but not why he would be. He grabs your arm, and propels you towards one of the rooms backstage. Pulling you in there and following you, he shuts the door.

"What the hell was that?" he explodes.

You are shocked. "What do you mean, "What the hell was that?"

"He had his hands all over you. And then he pulls that stunt."

"He's my partner. Of course, he had his hands all over me. I'm just as pissed as you are about the stunt. We weren't ready to showcase that at all."

Sasha lets out a frustrated breath, raking his hands through his hair. "He had his hands all over you. He was staking a claim."

You visibly pull back and stare at Sasha, open mouthed. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me," he muttered, mulishly.

"He's my partner. In order to dance, we do need to touch."

"Not like that. He was acting like you belonged to him. You don't belong to him. You belong to -"

"I don't belong to anyone!" you explode at him, frustrated by this conversation and angry at the actions of your partner.

You push past Sasha, to exit the room, to get some air, because you couldn't think. You were so pissed off at Marco, at Sasha, and the whole situation in general.

Sasha grabs your arm, turns you around and pushes you against the wall, and kisses you. You freeze. This was unexpected. He's still kissing you. Slowly, you unfreeze and then you are kissing him back with everything you have. His hands frame your face as the kiss changes from anger to something sweeter. He breaks the kiss. You both are breathing heavy as you stare at each other. "I love you," he utters starkly, his gaze holding yours.

Your eyes widen. "But you've never -" you start.

"I love you," he repeats, cutting you off.

His thumbs stroke your cheekbones. You close your eyes, savouring his words. "I love you, too," you whisper back.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

You open your eyes, to see a grin cross his features. "Will you be my partner from now?" he asks you.

Your eyes tearing slightly, you nod. "Good. I'm yours," he whispers against your lips, kissing you gently.

Kissing him back you think to yourself how lucky you are.