7. What Is Love? - Never Shout Never

-

The eighteen year old sits at the top of the stairs, listening to the raised voices in the living room. His parents were arguing again, he doesn't even know about what but it had got to the stage were they were bringing up old arguments.

"What about when you fucked that Spanish bitch?! Didn't love me then, did ya?" His mother shouts, the sound of a dish being slammed down echoing through the house.

James just sits and listens, not knowing what else to do. As it did most nights, the arguing had woke him and all he could do was lay and listen. But if he was going to listen then he may as well sit on the highest step so he could hear better.

He hears his dad retaliate with the time his mum had supposedly left him for two weeks to have an affair when Jim was just a baby. James eyes fall onto his phone, which he was twirling in his hands, and he wonders if when he was older he'd argue with his husband or wife like that.

He hoped not.

A plate is smashed and James stands. He knew what that meant. He turns towards his room and rushes in, hoping that his dad didn't get hurt too much this time.

He gets changed into a hoodie and jeans, slipping a pair of shoes on too. He runs. brush through his hair, pushing it all back before he takes a small breath.

Without another thought James opens his window and slips out. He carefully lowers himself down the drain pipe. Once on the ground he pulls his hood up and begins to walk towards the Holmes manor.

The air around him is deadly cold, biting as his skin and turning his cheeks pink. He buries his hands in his pockets and walks faster, moving in an attempt to stay warm.

James looks down at his batters shoes as he walks, hopeful that Sherlock would be up. He probably was, doing some mental experiment with eyeballs or something, Jim thinks with a fond smile.

Jim easily slides between the gap in the Holmes manner fence, walking around the side and picking up one of the colourful pebbles Mrs Holmes had around the border of the house.

He threw one perfectly in the centre of the window on first floor. The window was open so the pebble went in and landed in the room.

A moment later Sherlock has stuck his head out the window, a pair of science googles on top of his head. He spots Jim and smiles before he holds up a finger. He then disappears back into his room, which seemed to be smoking.

James nods and walks back to the front of the house. He waits again, briefly wondering what Sherlock was doing. Something in his room was burning.

Sherlock opens the door, pyjamas on, his hair messy, googles gone but his smile still in place.

His smile drops a little, obviously taking in the little details about Jim's visit. He doesn't say a word, just opens the door further for him to enter.

That's one thing Jim loved about Sherlock, the way he always stopped himself from reading off Jim's life like he did with so many others. He just didn't say anything, he'd just keep it to himself and smile.

Once they were inside Jim wraps one arm around Sherlock's neck in a quick hug. He also presses a kiss to his cheek.

When he pulls back Sherlock closes the door and they make their way up the stairs.

"What was the kiss for?" Sherlock questions as they reach the top of the stairs.

"For never saying anything" was all Jim said before they headed up the stairs.

They enter Sherlock's room. The air was smokey and a half burnt hand sat in an oval dish beside Sherlock's bed.

Jim made a face, his nose wrinkling up at the smell and sight of burning flesh. Sherlock chuckles at him, using his foot to clear the floor of clothes.

"Sorry about the mess" Sherlock mumbles.

Jim's eyebrows shoot up.

The taller boy sits on his bed and stretches his arms forward. He notices the look from James and let's his arms fall in front of him. "What?"

"You.. apologised for the mess"  James speaks slowly, unable to believe his own words. 

Sherlock gives a shrug, frowning in confusion "Yeah, so?"

Jim sits beside Sherlock "You never apologise for anything.. You okay?"

Sherlock brings his legs up, turning towards James as he crosses his legs and raises an eyebrow. "Is it not a normal thing to say sorry about the mess in your room when you have a friend over?"

"Not for you, no"

Sherlock shrugs again before falling down on his back.

Sherlock opens his arms, gesturing for Jim to join him. James is all too happy to remove his hoodie and shoes and snuggle close to Sherlock. Sherlock's arms loop around his friend, holding him close as all the words they didn't need to say pass between them.

James was right. Sherlock doesn't say sorry. There are many things he just doesn't say. And he knows he never will. Because he won't ever risk saying the wrong thing to James.

James' own arms snaked around Sherlock waist, his head resting on Sherlock's defined chest. One of Sherlock's hands slot into his hair, letting the strands slide through his fingers.

James let's out a small content sigh, his eyes falling closed as he focuses on the feel on Sherlock's fingers lightly brushing through his hair.

The shorter boy raises his head to smile at Sherlock. As a spur of the moment decision Jim leans forward and places a gentle kiss to Sherlock's lips. Both of them allow their eyes to fall close, sinking into the moment and just enjoying the feel of being pressed together.

"What was that one for?" Sherlock grins, his voice low as their lips hover over one another's.

"Felt like it" Jim breathes back.

Sherlock is the one to lean forward this time and before long they're going back and forth, taking it in turns to kiss each other. Knowing things could not stay innocent forever, Sherlock pulls back and falls onto the pillows with a light laugh.

They fall asleep like that,  content smiles on their faces, their legs hooked together and their arms wrapped around each other.

That was the first night the two boys had kissed.