4. Mermaid - Train

4. Mermaid - Train

--

The snow was coming down thicker and thicker with each passing second. Jim was stood on the threshold of Baker Street, his thin coat hanging limp as he prays for a cab to drive by.

He had to be home within the hour. A whole load of his family where coming round for dinner, to celebrate his seventeenth birthday. He'd managed to convince his mother and father to let him go see Sherlock.

He'd had a great time with his friend too. Sherlock had brought him a lovely new watch and played him all his favourites on the violin. He'd even composed a song for him, one that just screamed emotion despite Sherlock's many claims to be a nineteen year old sociopath.

Jim had felt his heart thud purely for the other boy in that moment, and not for the first time either. He'd always had that reaction to Sherlock, ever since they met two years ago on that train.

Ever since that meeting, Jim and Sherlock had been joined at the hip. They may as well have been a couple.

Sadly though, they weren't.

Jim's phone buzzes, reminding him he still needed to leave and get home for dinner. He didn't even want to think of how angry his mother would be if he were late, birthday or not.

He could walk home and be on time easily but he was more than reluctant with this weather raging. The seventeen year old shifts awkwardly, taking a deep breath and bracing himself for the cold to come.

Then there was a tap on his shoulder. He turns to see Sherlock giving him a soft smile and holding out his trademark coat.

Jim's eyes roam over Sherlock's smiling face for a second before he looks at the coat with a frown, confused. Why was Sherlock--

Jim's eyes widen, realising what Sherlock was doing.

He was offering Jim his coat so he wouldn't be cold on the way home.

"But--"

"Just take it, Jim" Sherlock chuckles, pushing the coat into Jim's hand.

He just stands there, dumbfounded and staring. Sherlock laughs again, taking the coat back and holding it out like mothers do to their children or boyfriends to their girlfriends when helping them get into their coats.

Jim hesitates before he slides into the warmth of the heavy coat, a blush threatening to rise as he buries his hands into the large pockets and tries to be subtle about the way he smells the coat. 

Sherlock leans close then, his mouth beside Jim's ear. He's laughing again. He leans further forward a moment later and presses a kiss to Jim's cheek. He also slides a small tube into the coat pocket.

"Goodnight, Jim. Happy birthday"

Jim blushes as he returns the farewell, still shocked about the kiss before he leaves to make it home on time.

As he walks down the snowy road, he buries his hands into the pockets again and remembers the tube as his fingers brush against it.

He pulls it out to find that Sherlock had given him a tube of love hearts but only one sweet remained in the packet.

Carefully, Jim opens the lid and tips the tube so the sweet lands in his palm. He has to walk forward to read the writing under the glow of a nearby street lamp.

'Be mine'

Jim heart hammers, knowing this wasn't a coincidence. Sherlock had purposely given him this lone sweet.

With a shaking hand, Jim taps out a text to the other teen before setting off for home.

'I already am. xx'