Chapter 13: Devil's Pain

Rebekah is standing in one of the upstairs lounges, looking at a painted portrait of Rebekah, in her original body, that was seemingly created centuries earlier which hangs on the wall while Klaus stands behind her.

Rebekah pouts and says, "That is just not my chin, Nik. It was much more delicate."

"The only delicate thing about you, sister, is your ego," Klaus says and Rebekah turns to face him with a sarcastic smirk on her face.

"Well, placed next to the behemoth size of yours, certainly!" Rebekah shoots back. They both laugh good-naturedly. Suddenly, Elijah's voice is heard, revealing that they are talking with him on speakerphone while he, Coney, and Cami stay at the safe house in Arkansas.

Elijah, on the phone, says, "Could we dispense with this fascinating dispute for just a moment and return to the subject of our supposed long-lost sister?" Coney was sitting next to him, laying in his lap, just listening.

Rebekah sighs and says, "There's not much to discuss, Elijah. She said she was Freya, and then she darted off into the night."

"And you believed her?" He asked, running his hand though Coney's hair.

"Well, I met the girl in a mystical loony-bin, she could be anyone telling any lie. But, she did seem... familiar, somehow..." Rebekah says, trailing off.

Klaus, frustrated, asks, "Then how is she still alive?" He rolls his eyes and sighs as he starts to pace anxiously around the room. "A question, as ridiculous as its possible solutions, given this family's annoying predilection for cheating death."

Rebekah sighs and shrugs, saying, "I dunno, Nik, I'm just telling you what she said!"

"Well, did you happen to ask, if by some similar miracle, our aunt Dahlia lives as well?" Klaus asks his sister who was clearly a bit shaken.

"I barely had a chance to process-" She says, but Klaus cuts her off, unhappy with her answer.

"Because on the list of obvious questions, it would be nice to know if the woman who placed a curse on the firstborns of this family is still breathing air!" Klaus yells at her and Coney jumps a bit at his outburst, but Elijah just keeps running his hands though her hair.

Rebekah, annoyed, says, "Well, let me just turn back time and do it again to your liking, then!"

Coney, on the phone, says, "Enough! Both of you. If she is who she says, we'll find out soon enough. For now, it remains imperative that no one learns of Hope's existence. This has been our salvation so far."

"Unless Hayley's husband-to-be starts flapping his gums," Klaus says and he smiles. "Perhaps I should take preventative measures and separate him from his head?"

Coney, annoyed, says, "Jackson won't do anything to jeopardize that wedding."

Rebekah gasps in confusion, and asks, "Hayley's getting married?!"

Klaus smiles at her, and she sighs and pretends to pout again, and Klaus says, "So is our brother. It seems his memory problem can only be solved by the marriage between him and Coney." Elijah looks down at her and she smiles at him, reaching up and kissing him.

"Well, what in hell else did I miss?" Rebekah asks, and Coney laughs against Elijah's lips, who was smiling as well.

%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%

Cami is in the living room, playing with Hope, who is laying on her back on a blanket on the floor, and Coney was in the next room over, writing in boredness, writing about nothing. In the kitchen, Elijah has just finished cleaning a skillet in preparation to make breakfast for the girls. He puts butter in the pan before cracking an egg into it. Suddenly, he hears a crash in the next room as Hope starts crying, and Elijah vamp-speeds in to see what happened, and Coney snaps her head up, but sees it was just a block and Hope was okay, so she went back to her bored writing. A broken dish lays on the floor as Cami picks her up. Hope has a small cut on her forehead.