Carbs

Cat's Pov

I get out of the shower and wrap myself in a towl, not even bothering to dry off first.

Should I call?

I should just call to say hi.

Doesn't mean anything 'cuz we're just friends, anyway.

I pick up my cell off of my nightstand, and scroll down to find Joey's name in my emergency contacts list.

He would do that.

I laugh to myself softly, as I call him.

One ring, two rings, three rings, four rings, five rings......

As I'm just about to hang up, I hear a distinct voice calling my name.

"Cat?"

"Joey! Yeah it's me!" 

"No durr. I thought you said you'd never call me." he says cockily.

I laugh.

"What's funny?"

"Nothing, it's just, You're so cocky!" 

"I was born that way, babe."

"First of all, don't call me babe. Second, did you really just quote a Lady Gaga song?" I ask, amusment in my voice.

This time he laughs.

"Wanna hang out later?" Joey asks me.

"Can't. Dani's coming over today."

"Ah. Well I've got class in ten so, I'll talk to you later?"

"Sure."

"Alright, later babe."

"Bye." I say, unable to hold in my grin as he hangs up the phone.

Dry by now, I get dressed in comfortable sweats, apply a small amount of eyeliner and put my hair up in a ponytail. It's just Dani, I don't really need to impress her.

I hear someone knock on the door ten seconds later and open the door to find a tear-stricken Dani, holding two plastic bags from the local grocery store.

"Dani? What wrong?" I ask, concered. Dani's usually so upbeat.

"Cat, My mom  just died." she struggles to tell me, heaving.

"Dani." I say to her, hugging her tightly as I lead her into the apartment and sit down on the couch with her.

"I'm so sorry." I say. She says nothing, instead she continues to cry into her sweatshirt sleeve.

I really am. 

I'm also in complete shock. I mean, I didn't know Dani's mom that well because her and my Dads never got along when Dani and I were little but, just the other day, Dani was telling me about how well she was doing wither the lung cancer. She told me that the chemo therapy was working great and that her mom was gonna beat it.

But she didn't.

Dani loved her mom very much. She was a total mama's girl.

She seemed to be a pretty nice woman, it's just that she was totally homophobic, which caused the conflict between her and my Dads.

As she starts to calm down, I ask Dani about the plastic bags she brought with her.

"What's in the bags?"

"Carbs. And lots of them." she says, smiling at me.

"The perfect way to mend a broken heart." she continues, pulling out our favorite.......

Lays Chips. 

Five different flavors.

"Wer'e so getting fat tonight." I say, grabbing a bag of chips from her lap and opening them up.

A/N Hey! So I just wanted to let you guys know that this story does indeed take place before Positively Jatrific! And this chapter is not going to lead into any eating disorders among any of the characters in this story! :)