Chapter One

The snow stretched on for as far as the eye could see in almost all directions, save a row of caves off to the left. A man trudged through the deep snow, pausing occasionally to look around as if for some clue as to what he was doing there. As he was staring intently at the row of caves, debating whether or not to investigate, a bright blue door opened behind him seemingly out of nowhere. The man was so lost in his thoughts that he did not even notice as a man stepped out of the door and, after pressing a button on a mysterious device, the door disappeared entirely. The second man cleared his throat, but it had no effect on the other.

"Sam." He said. "I'm here."

This jolted the one called Sam out of his contemplation, and he was so surprised that he screamed at the top of his lungs. His companion's only response was a bored look.

Sam's eyes darted around him as he asked "Who? What? Where? When?" After a moment he turned around and spotted the other man, which seemed to calm him down a bit. Then he realised that his friend was staring off to the right, away from the caves.

"Oh my gosh Sam. Is that a polar bear?"

Sam's heart started to race again and he quickly turned. "What? WHERE?!"

His friend spotted the row of caves that Sam had been watching so intently earlier.

"BEHIND YOU! RUN TO THE CAVE!!"

After hitting a button on his handheld device, the second man vanished. Sam took this as his cue to run at top speed towards one of the caves. Panting, he arrived and collapsed inside the entrance. His friend appeared beside him and gave him another bored look.

"Al. Is it still following me?"

Al walked outside and looked around, before responding. "I don't think so Sam."

"Good." He thought for a moment. "Can it see you?"

Al gave him a look. "Yes Sam. I know your memory is Swiss-cheesed, but you should know by now that as a hologram I can only be seen by small children, animals, and you."

"I know, I know. Just tell me who and where I am this time."

After hitting a couple buttons on his device, and then smacking it, Al said "According to Ziggy you are Shandy Woodshed, and this is June 4, 1983."

"Ok. Now what am I doing here?"

Al hit the device again. "You are here to..." He grew silent, as if in shock.

"Sam..." Al almost whispered.

"Yeah?" Sam said, unconcerned. He looked Al in the face and was surprised to see that he had turned as white as a sheet. Sam quickly got to his feet.

"I- I- I... I should go." Al finally answered. "Now."

"What?" Sam asked confused and concerned. "Why?"

Al hit a couple buttons on his device, and the door reappeared.

"No, Al! Don't you step through that door. I don't even know what I'm supposed to do here!"

"Bye, Sam." Al walked through and the door vanished behind him.

"Al!"

Sam sat down again, grumbling about his friend's unhelpfulness. At that moment, a giant shadow appeared in the entrance of the cave, and Sam leaped back to his feet, fearing the bear's return. The shadow grew larger as it became evident that the figure, friend or foe, was about to join Sam in the cave. Sam backed into a corner, wishing Al was there.

"Oh, boy." He whispered.