t h i r t y n i n e

A sudden pain jolts me from my sleep in the middle of the night. I don't know if it's because I need to pee or...

But I get up anyway and sleepwalk towards the bathroom in the dark, stubbing my toe in the process. But before I could reach the toilet, water suddenly gushes out from between my legs and splashes all over the floor. It just keeps coming out.

I curse, trying to find the light switch. Standing in a puddle now, I look down at myself. My hands rub my eyes, and I try to take deep breaths.

Was that... Did my water just break?

I wobble over like a penguin, keeping my legs apart, and slowly sit on the toilet seat. My hands clumsily pull my bottoms down. But the sight of my underwear cuts airflow from my lungs.

I gasp at the big bright red stain that soaked what once was white fabric.

My whole body trembles, because it looks horrific. I rub my eyes again.

"Judah?" I call out.

No answer. He wasn't in the bedroom, so I doubt he's anywhere nearby. Perhaps he's driving to his places. I groan, feeling annoyed.

My hip bone is pressed with cramping pain. I stay in my spot, hoping that Judah might appear. But the pain grows. I can't even think of what to do, as a wave of panic takes over my mind.

My hands grip below my stomach, feeling how solid it's gotten.

This can't be happening... It's the middle of week 29—I shouldn't be in labour.

Aching pressure hits my pelvis, making me inhale sharply. So, my legs push me up onto my feet. I stay hunched over and step slowly into the kitchen.

What do I do? I decide to reach for the phone and dial Judah's number.

My hopes die when he doesn't pick up. I call again, and again.

Stuck standing in the middle of another contraction, I groan. This one lasts longer.

I rub my sweaty forehead and push my hair back. Holy...

I don't know what do to. I don't know where to go. The nausea of it all doesn't help.

The pain subsides for a bit. I call Judah again, but by the time I press the phone to my ear, contractions plague me.

"Mmmgh," I groan, squeezing the phone in my shaky hands, ready to bend it. "Ugh!"

Even if I wanted to, I just couldn't move. My bones and muscles lock from the intense pain. There's nothing gradual about these pains.

My eyes shut and my teeth bite my lip, as I try to cope and take in oxygen.

But just when I was starting to focus instead of panicking, something trickles down my leg. My hand wipes blood. More blood. It's not bright red as it appeared when my water broke—it's very dark, flowing with blood clots. Wh—Blood clots?

Too nauseous, I scoot to the nearest sofa and rest my body. I think I'm going to pass out.

♠♠♠

The door swings open. I look up.

Judah's wide eyes look for me. I'm ready to cry, but I hold it in.

"Where were you?" I wheeze.

"What's wrong?" he rushes towards me.

"Ng-ugh," I groan, trying to speak through the pressure my body churns from, "You didn't answer your phone, that's what!"