f o r t y s e v e n

Judah drives us to my apartment. The sun has gone down, and all the leaves have fallen.

I twiddle my fingers, until Judah parks up front and cuts the engine. I focus on pulling off my seatbelt and popping the door open.

The temperature freezes my skin. My behind misses the cosiness of the heated seats. The way I shiver makes me look like I have some kind of disease. I convince myself that the disease is Judah. 

The day we met keeps replaying in my head. There's nothing I can do about it.

Judah fetches Ryder, as always. He now knows the way, so he walks ahead of me.

"You seem... different," I say, staring into his broad back.

He glances back at me, yet says nothing. My hands find their way into my back pockets, as I walk.

"Really different," I add.

"Things are different," he tells me.

"I know..." I say, "I just wasn't expecting them to."

He manages to open the door and we fall into silence. My emotions get the best of me. I don't know how to shake the memory.

"I'm leaving tomorrow night," Judah says.

My eyes look at him. Right. He has important things to do across the ocean. After my pause for thought, I unlock my door. 

Judah enters easily and sets Ryder in his bed. I've already told him that I wouldn't need him—and Ryder could do without a disappointment.

Judah unstraps little Ryder's shoes.

"Tell me we'll be safe after you're gone," I sit.

He lifts his head, "Don't worry. You'll be safe."

I sigh, nodding. I stare at the resemblance between Ryder and Judah.

"And what about you?" I ask.

A smirk spreads over his lips, as his voice lowers.

"I didn't think my sweet cheeks would still worry about me."

My jaw clenches in annoyance and a brow twitches up.

"Don't call me that," I say, rolling my eyes.

He grins an airy laugh.

"Relax, Rose. I'll be fine."

My eyes look away, unable to take in his grey ones. Why is he so relaxed? I can't understand anything. He tucks little Ryder in, and places his hands over his knees.

"I know," I quickly reply.

"But call me, if you need anything."

"What?" I ask, skeptical. "You'll fly here for me?"

Judah stands, "Of course."

He stares at me, while sticking his hands in his pockets. Ryder rolls in the bed, enjoying his adventures in dreamland. I try not to put hope in what Judah said. I decide to let it fall by the wayside, actually.

After I break eye contact, Judah walks towards the door.

It's something about him... something changed. He's... I don't know. I wonder what made him like this.

Nightmares of the day he disappeared overwhelm my thoughts. I remember it as if it were yesterday. All he could do was plead for my life. All I could hear were the gunshots and his screams. I could even hear them drag him out. I thought he was dead all this time. Well, the Judah I knew in the past died.