f i f t y t h r e e

♠♠♠

"Daddy?"

"Yeah?"

Judah helps little Ryder pull on his pants and shirt. Ryder holds in both hands a toy Batman and Iron man.

"Batman, he fwy," little Ryder explains in full concentration. "He fwy wike dis. And Batman dwives caws, too. Dwives fast wike daddy."

"Who drives faster?" Judah continues the conversation, "Batman or daddy?"

Little Ryder frowns, thinking deeply. He looks between his toys. A moment of silence go by.

"Batman," he then answers.

Judah grins. Though, I can tell he's disappointed.

I glance at the dogs, lying quietly by the door.

I had a hard time getting Ryder dressed, earlier. He would run off and chase the large dogs around the house. But as soon as Judah appears, the chaos dies down.

I wonder if moments like this will last. As we get ready to go out and about Italy, I trail downstairs to find a quick snack to put in little Ryder's backpack. But before I could turn into the kitchen, I see a familiar face standing by the foyer. I pause to see who it is. 

Humphrey is there, like he's waiting. It didn't take him long to recognize me. He wasn't excited to see me either.

"Rose, how are you?" he nods at me, "I heard you were here."

I smile, folding my arms.

"I'm good. It's been a while," I say awkwardly, "Did you want to see Judah?"

I imagine Judah has work to do and places to go... I grit my teeth for a second.

"I'll wait," he says.

My eyes find the kitchen, but look back at Humphrey.

"Want something to drink—?"

He pauses, looking like he's ready to let out a laugh. He only clears his throat. He must think i'm smug, acting like this is my home. My mouth hangs open, as I look down at the luxury I walk on barefoot. Though, he doesn't restrain from pointing out how badly I don't belong here.

"Is it a good idea for you to be here?" Humphrey asks steadily.

"What do you mean?" I ask, as doubt arrises to the surface fo my mind.

"After... what you put him through?" Humphrey looks around the foyer, trying not to throw offence.

"What did I put him through?" I ask some more, as my frown deepens.

Humphrey shakes his head, "He didn't tell you?"

"You know Judah longer than I have," I say, "You know he's good at saying nothing."

He grins at the tone of my voice, approaching me.

"Don't take this personal, but I suggest you go back to where you come from..."

I remember nose-ring boy's version of this... advice. Everything and everyone is telling me to stay away, to go back, to go on like none of this happened. If disappearing from Judah's world was so simple, I would have done it already. In fact, we would have never crossed paths. But for some reason, I feel the need to defend myself—need to defend my decisions. 

"I've been thinking the same thing since I got here," I reply, despite the ring on my finger.

"Judah was messed up when he wasn't able to save you. And it certainly didn't help that he was tortured for it. What'll happen if you were to become his priority again."