Ghost Cat

He opened the fridge door and looked inside then back at the cat whose tail twitched with great impatiens. "Sorry we're all out of milk" the cat growled and her her lips curled back revealing sharp white teeth. He laughed nervously. "Just kidding" he said pulling out a carton of milk. Her eyes lit up but she was still pretty grumpy. "Someone can't take a joke" he said unscrewing the cap and pouring the creamy white liquid into the bowl. She continued to stare at him with malice. "What, do you not what it?" He reached for the bowl but the cat hissed and he jerked his hand back. "Sorry" he said raising his hand in defense. "I think we started off on the wrong foot" he said to the cat who's Amber eyes were blazing. "Would you agree to a do over" he extended his hand as if the cat would shake it. Her face softened. She stepped over the bowl of milk and rubbed her head all over his hand and scratched her behind the ear. "I'll take that as a yes" he said with a soft smile. "By the way what's your name"
The cat looked up at him and cocked her head. "You do have a name don't?" The cat turned around ran and jumped on to the counter top of the kitchen. "Hey where are you going! No cats on the counter!" The cat ran over to the bag of flower. "No, don't you dare!" He yelled to late. The cat had turned the whole bag over sending flower across the room and counter. "Bad cat, I thought were..." his words trailed off as the cat appeared to be writing letters in the flower. He walked over slowly and stood over the counter watching the cat write. "U, m, b, r, a," as he read the last letters his mouth hung open with shock. The cat looked up at him pleased with her work. "Your name is Umbra?" She purred with delight. "I have a feeling we're going to be good friends, Umbra" the cat was very affectionate, mostly because she was afraid of getting in trouble not with the mortal or his family, she was afraid of angering the Jester. Thought it was hard to do it was possible, and what a scary possibility indeed. So continued but her purrs were interrupted by the lights of the kitchen being turned on. Both the cat and the boy were temporarily blinded by the bright lights . "Tod!" The boys head whipped around. To face a green faced witch in a pink robe, or maybe it was his mom in face mask? "Tod, what on earth are you doing up this late? And why-" her words stopped when she saw the black cat rolling in the mountain of flower "WHY IS THERE A CAT ROLLING IN MY GOOD FLOWER!!" She yelled. The cat got up out of the flower and walked across the flower covered counter to the edge and hopped off leaving a cloud of flower and a trail of paw prints in her wake. The cat was pale and looked like a ghost cat that emerged the shadows. "Tod" his mother said tapping her foot against the floor now covered in flower. "I can explain!"
"You have ten seconds, start explaining"
"Okay, so I woke up because I heard something clawing and meowing at the door, I open the door and there was the cat but something else was out there-" Tods mom cut him off. "Tod keep concise"
"Right, I took the cat inside. Gave her some milk and asked her name-"
"I understand that, but tell me why she was rolling in my good flower!"
"She was writing her name"
"Tod, I don't have time for stories. Get yourself and the cat clean. Lock the cat in the Landry room and go back to bed, and tomorrow I'll go drop the cat off at a shelter"
"But mom-"
"No excuses, the cat is going"
"The cats name is Umbra" he said crossly
"You named her"
"No"
"Then who did"
"I don't know"
"She doesn't even have a collar how could you possibly know her name"
"I told you she spelled it out in the flower" he said pointing to the flower
"All I see is paw prints in my good flower"
He looked over and the cat had erased her name by rolling in the flower
"Tod please don't get attached to the cat" she said rubbing her temples
"Mom-"
"Please Tod, just go get cleaned up and get back to bed. We'll talk in the morning"
"I was just going to say I love you" he said walking over and giving his mother a hug. She kissed the top of his head. "My sweet boy, how ever did you get so big so fast." She held him close "go change" she said more gently. he nodded his head and walked to his room fallowing the white prints. She stooped down and started to clean the flower. "Stupid cat" she said to her self. She looked up and the cat was back on the counter staring down at her with Amber eyes. "Get off" she said looking down at the spot she was cleaning. She looked back up and the cat was gone. She shuddered then dismissed the feeling, saying that she was tired and that the cat was messing with her head.