Chapter 28 - I Don't Want To Deal With This Alone

"Wait. What?" I ask Robbie as he pulls me down the stairs.

"He was so worried about you not being okay with this. He needs to know you're okay."

I stop and Robbie stops with me.

"No, I'm not okay with this. I'm far from okay with this. And the last person I want to see right now is my father."

"He'll understand, Wendy. Just talk to him, please." Robbie pulls on my hand but I don't move.

"Understand what, exactly? He'll understand that right now I wish he had actually died on that island?"

Robbie sighs and wraps his arms around my waist, his head resting on my chest due to the fact that he's on a lower stair.

"He knows you'll be upset. And he knows that you'll be angry with him the most. But if you let him explain maybe you'll be surprised with how well this all worked."

I sigh against him, his body pressed against mine not helping me stay mad at my father.

"Alright." I say and he pulls his head back to look at me. "But you can't come with me."

"What??"

"You'll keep me from making the points I want to make. Stuff that I have to say to him. Then you can talk to him or whatever."

"Fine." He pouts.

"Don't get pouty on me, Kay. You're the one who suggested I do this." I tell him and then I kiss his nose, causing him to smile and let go of me.

I feel his hand slide into mine as we head down the rest of the stairs and I'm surprised to see everyone standing around talking and laughing as if nobody was worried about where I had gone.

I see my father talking to someone I do not recognize and so I step forward not caring about messing up their conversation.

"Father, I need to talk to you." 

He ignores me at first but then glances my way.

"Not now, Wendy." He says, going back to his conversation.

"Yes, now!" I shout back at him, my anger back to boiling within seconds.

He whispers something to the strange man and then turns to me, one eyebrow raised and lips in a straight line.

Robbie takes a step back and my father eyes him.

"You said you would handle this." He says to him and I open my mouth.

"Don't put your responsibilities on him!" I yell, my whole body on edge. "This was your fault! You put me in there and didn't tell me what was happening! I was scared for my life! My heart shattering every time I found out one of my family members died. Turns out, it was all fake! Not real, no evil villain, no dead family, no new friends, just a fake life that I depended for a few months. No big deal."

"Wends, you have to understand-"

"Don't call me that." I spit, furious with how he's handling this.

Robbie puts his hand on my arm and I calm down a little.

"I needed to do this." My father starts. "If you found out about the role, there was a possibility that you wouldn't want the part."

"But, why?"

"We wanted to film you feeling real pain, real anger, real fear. If you would have known about the part, you wouldn't have portrayed real sadness or real happiness. It would have been harder if you knew it was all fake."