Chapter 12: Life Goes On

They were in a tense standoff, Sherlock's pistol pointed at the bomb jacket. What John and Sherlock didn't know was that when Moriarty had met Rose's eyes, her face had shifted just momentarily into a smooth blank expression, before rearranging itself into baited anticipation once more.

He smirked, and turned to Sherlock, lips curling into the smile that currently graced his face. Moriarty was just about to say something, when suddenly a phone rang, and 'Stayin' Alive' began to play. Sherlock looked puzzled until Moriarty closed his eyes in irritation. Sherlock cocked his head a little and Moriarty asked apologetically: "Do you mind if I get that?" John blinked.

Sherlock just shrugged, his gun still pointed at Moriarty while his other fist was clenched tightly at his side, saying lightly: "Oh no, please. You've got the rest of your life." He said grimly.

Moriarty pulled out his phone from his pocket, glancing at it and he answered: "Hello? ... Yes, of course it is. What do you want?" He mouthed at Sherlock: 'Sorry', cringing in annoyance at his caller. Sherlock mouthed back sarcastically: 'No problem.'

Moriarty listened when he suddenly whipped around shouting furiously: "Say that again!" Sherlock's grip on the pistol tightened while John swallowed. Moriarty ignored them as he said darkly into his phone: "Say that again, and know that if you're lying to me, I will find you and I will skin you."

Sherlock and John and Rose exchanged glances. Moriarty snapped: "Wait." He put his call on hold and looked at the other three. He walked towards them slowly and stopped by the bomb before he paused. He murmured while Sherlock's grip on the pistol tightened impossibly: "Sorry. Wrong day to die."

Sherlock asked mockingly: "Oh. Did you get a better offer?" Moriarty glanced at his phone and then smiled at Sherlock as he replied: "You'll be hearing from me, Sherlock." He turned and walked away. He took his call, ignoring Sherlock's gun on him as he said: "So if you have what you say you have, I will make you rich. If you don't, I'll make you into shoes."

Moriarty disappeared, clicking his fingers just before he exited. At his signal, all the lasers switched off. A few beats passed in silence as they looked around warily. John gasped: "What happened there?" Sherlock murmured: "Someone changed his mind."

He paused as he locked eyes with Rose and and he asked: "The question is: who?"

*********

As the trio re-entered to the flat later that night, Sherlock asked suddenly: "How did he get you?" He looked at Rose, and she and John glanced at him in surprise. "What?" She asked, and Sherlock clarified: "How did he get you there at the pool?"

Rose nodded in understanding and she explained easily: "Some men snuck into my flat. I should've seen it coming really, after the bomber, or should I say Moriarty, got in to place the trainers. After that, a gun to my head and the threat to kill Mrs. Hudson too had me out the door. I figured it was more likely you'd figure a way out, than Mrs. Hudson"

He nodded slowly, unable to shake the feeling that there was something in her tone that didn't ring true. Rose just nodded at the two men as she murmured: "Well, good night. Better try get some bloody sleep."

John bit his lip worriedly, but he was pleasantly surprised when Sherlock abruptly said: "Stay with us." Rose turned in surprise as John glanced at his flatmate. "What?" She asked and he repeated: "Stay with us, tonight. And tomorrow, John and I will get a new lock for your door."

John smiled, nodding. She looked at them incredulously as she pointed out: "I doubt that will stop him." Sherlock shrugged as he said: "But it will make John feel better." John nodded again, deciding he'd better not point out Sherlock would feel better too.