Chapter 27: I O U

Sherlock fixed his suit jacket as John tied his tie before the mirror. Sherlock had been called in as an expert witness at Moriarty's trial, and John and Marie were going with him for moral support. At least, that was what people thought- in reality, they were going to watch Moriarty and test Sherlock's theory.

As the boys finished straightening their jackets, Marie walked out of her shared bedroom with Sherlock. She was dressed in a smart suit, paired with black heels. She stopped before Sherlock, tucking his jacket and shirt neatly and smoothing out imaginary wrinkles.

The trio walked down the stairs in silence, and Sherlock stopped at the front door. Marie stood right beside him as John grabbed the doorknob. He turned to them and asked: "Ready?" Marie gave a curt nod while Sherlock murmured shortly: "Yes."

John pulled open the door and immediately cameras flashed while reporters shouted questions. Thankfully, the police were keeping all of them at bay so the trio could walk into the police car quickly. Sherlock opened the door and quickly gestured for Marie to get in first.

She slid in and Sherlock followed suit while John got in on the other side. They sat in silence as the car drove them to the court, and John piped up: "Remember..." Sherlock interrupted shortly: "Yes."

John took a breath and tried again: "Remember..." Sherlock repeated testily: "Yes." Marie sighed while John said determinedly: Remember what they told you: don't try to be clever-"

"No." Sherlock said petulantly. John ignored him as he continued: "... and please, just keep it simple and brief." Sherlock muttered sarcastically: "God forbid the star witness at the trial should come across as intelligent." John countered: "'Intelligent,' fine; let's give 'smart-arse' a wide berth."

There was a moment's silence and then Sherlock muttered: "I'll just be myself." John demanded angrily: "Are you listening to me?" Sherlock just turned to look out the window like a sulky child while Marie sighed again. He glanced at her and then at their driver.

Sherlock subtly took Marie's hand in his, giving it a gently squeeze. Her eyes slid across to him but he just turned back to look out the window. They continued in silence, Sherlock and Marie gripping hands the whole way and only letting go as they pulled up outside the court.

***********

John and Marie waited for Sherlock outside Court Ten. He'd gone to the loo, but he was taking longer than they were expecting. John kept checking his watch while Marie wondered what could possibly be keeping him.

They looked up as they heard footsteps and turned to see Sherlock returning from the washroom looking completely irritated and disgusted. Marie glanced at him and as he got closer, raised her brows. "Did you step into the wrong toilet," she asked and he looked at her irascibly, "or were you mobbed by a woman in the men's toilet?"

John looked surprised while Sherlock muttered: "It's not important. Although, I will be requiring your help later in dispelling that vile woman's perfume." Marie raised a brow but just nodded while John shook his head with a groan.

"Yeah, maybe focus Sherlock." John sighed. Sherlock glanced at Marie who just nodded encouragingly before she and John moved to the gallery while Sherlock took his place in the witness stand.

***********

"A 'consulting criminal'." The prosecuting barrister was saying and Sherlock replied shortly: "Yes." The prosecutor continued: "Your words. Can you expand on that answer?"

Sherlock replied flatly: "James Moriarty is for hire." The prosecutor turned to look at Moriarty as she asked: "A tradesman?" Sherlock replied testily: "Yes." The prosecutor added questioningly: "But not the sort who'd fix your heating?"