Chapter 18: Farewell, Irene

"It's getting late. I should also head to bed." Marie murmured at last, and Sherlock glanced at her as she stretched, rolling her shoulders before standing up. She turned to look back at him over her shoulder, getting ready to say good night as she made to move towards the stairs, when Sherlock also stood up and gently grabbed her arm.

She turned to face him completely, a little surprised by his actions. "Stay with me tonight." He said quietly and she blinked at him. "What?" She asked dumbly and Sherlock repeated, changing it to a question: "Stay with me tonight?"

She observed him silently, pursing her lips a little as she looked at him thoughtfully. Sherlock waited patiently before she said at last: "I don't think that's a good idea." He snorted a little as he said a tad exasperated: "I don't mean anything by my request- I'm just asking you to stay with me tonight."

"Why?" She challenged and Sherlock surprised even himself as he answered honestly: "Because I'm afraid of losing you, and I want to have you with me tonight of all nights." Her eyes softened at that, and she gently took his hands in her own, holding them as she leaned against him. They stood in a loose embrace for a moment.

"I still don't think it's a good idea." She said at last, pulling back a little and tilting her head to look up at him. Sherlock frowned as he asked petulantly: "Why not?" She replied lightly but there was a serious undercurrent to her tone as she said: "Because while you might not be looking for anything, I won't be able to just sleep beside you."

He froze for just one second but she caught it. Her smile became indulgent and she leaned up on her toes to purr in his ear: "Or did you forget that I'm not the innocent girl you once thought I was?"

He stiffened and his eyes narrowed. "I've never really thought you were innocent." He pointed out quietly and she laughed a little as she shook her head as she settled back down on her feet. "Hm, I wonder if I should take that as an insult or a compliment?" She wondered and he replied flatly: "It was neither."

"You're right, it was just fact." She agreed easily, making to step back and away. She was a little surprised when Sherlock's arms suddenly locked around her, pulling her against him. She looked up, startled, but before she could protest, Sherlock lowered his head and kissed her.

All thoughts left her mind, and she kissed him back softly. But when he began to deepen the kiss, she pulled back a little and opened her eyes. "Sherlock..." she breathed warningly and he hummed against her as he tried to lean in closer and kiss her again. She turned her head slightly, avoiding his kiss and forcing him to open his eyes and look at her directly.

"I mean it. I haven't been this emotional in years, and I'm still raw from what happened tonight. I won't be able to just let you go to sleep if you keep this up." She warned gently. She blinked in complete surprise when Sherlock murmured: "So don't, then."

She stared at the man in absolute shock as he leaned down to kiss her roughly. He pulled away briefly to whisper in her ear: "I never said I didn't want it. Let me love you tonight." She shivered as he captured her lips with his once more. This time, she didn't fight it.

Her arms curled around him, trailing up his back and her hands tangled themselves in his dark curls. Sherlock's hands moved to hold her waist and as their kiss deepened, one of his hands moved to her head, holding it in place.

Slowly, Sherlock began to back them out and into the hallway leading to his bedroom. She went without protest, her arms wrapped firmly around his neck as they entered his room.

**********

Marie woke up to find Sherlock already awake, watching her sleep as his hand played lazily with her hair. Her face broke into a smile and she murmured: "Good morning."