Part I: Chapter Fifteen

Dark grey clouds filled the sky, covering the sun. The air became cool with no warmth. Prey creatures wandered back into their dens and nests, sheltering from the chilly weather. Roars of thunder echoed through the forest and rain began to erupt from the heavens.
     A cold rain drop landed in Charity's nostril, making her snort. She blinked open her eyes and lifted her head off of Cori's back. Her jaws parted in a yawn and she carefully snuck away from her Beta's side. The Alpha stood in the entrance of the den and lifted her lip in disgust.
So much for a warm summer day!
     "Alpha?" Charity thought she could make out a quiet voice.
     "Alpha!" The Leader turned towards the voice to see Scarlet peeking her red head out of the nursery.
     "What is it, Scarlet?" Charity shouted over the rain that began to pour harder.
     "I need to speak with you." The Irish Setter blinked in the rain as a drop landed in her eye.
     The Windhound leaped from her perch in front of the Nursery and pushed through the leaf-drape. There Scarlet laid on her bedding made of moss and leaves while River stood by her side. Charity noticed the bedding the mates settled on looked dry and old.
That rat-faced coward didn't change Scarlet's bedding?
     "Has Omega come in here to change your bedding?" The Alpha rumbled.
     Scarlet shook her head. River stepped up with a grim look on his face. "No he hasn't." He grumbled.
     Charity scowled. "I'll make sure that's the first thing he does today."
     The mother dog shifted on her bed and nuzzled a tan and black pup, which groaned at her touch. "Anyway, Alpha, there's an important reason why we asked you to come in."
     The two mates made eye contact and River nodded. "So we were making plans about the future and we thought about...the pups."
     Charity glanced at the little squirming bodies then returned her gaze to River and Scarlet.
     Scarlet sat up. "If something were to happen to both of us while the pups are still so young, we wanted to ask you a huge favor.....would you take care of the pups?"
     "Wait, what? Why me?" The Windhound stared at the two dogs in surprise.
     "Because you are an amazing leader and we trust you." River woofed.
     "But...but why not Rosita? She's your kin."
     "We spoke to her yesterday. She didn't seem comfortable with the idea." Scarlet murmured then her gaze became serious. "So please, Alpha. Would you protect our pups if something were to happen?"
     Charity looked at both mates. Desperation glazed their eyes. Her gaze fell on the pups. A red and black one turned away from its mother and opened its eyes then blinked its blue eyes up at her. A small prick in the Alpha's heart made her make up her mind. "Alright. I'll do it." She lowered her nose at the same pup and nuzzled it. The baby returned a tiny lick on Charity's nose. "So what are their names?"
     "That one that just licked you is Sky, because of her blue eyes. This one-" Scarlet gestured at a pure red female pup. "-is Crimson. This little boy is Storm." The Mother pointed at a tan pup with a black splash on his back that looked like a cloud. "And the last tan female is June and the tan and black male is Fawn."
     "They're all so cute." Charity smiled at each of the pups but her focus went back to Sky, who continued to stare up at the Leader with adoration in her blue eyes.
    "Thank you so much, Alpha." Scarlet mumbled and shifted on the dry leaves that snapped under her weight.
     "You're welcome." The Windhound left with a nod to each of the mates and pushed through the leaf-drape. Rain continued to fall harshly and the ground became a muddy pool.
They didn't even ask Forest to take care of them. Good. But am I really capable of taking care of five pups?
     An idea suddenly hit Charity and quickly leaped onto High Rock and took shelter in the den. She shook off her drenched pelt.
     "Hey!" A voice grumbled. The Alpha turned to see Cori dripping wet. He glared at his leader and shook off his fur. "Thanks a lot."
     The Windhound smiled and shuffled a white paw. "Sorry. It's kinda rainy out there."
     Cori snorted and sat up on his haunches. "I noticed. Where did you go?"
     "Scarlet and River wanted to talk."
     "About what? If I may ask."
     Charity glanced over her shoulder toward the Omega den, making sure Forest was out of sight then turned back to her Beta. "They were wondering if I'd take care of their pups if anything happened to them."
     Cori's brow lifted. "Did you agree?"
     "Yes."
     "But isn't it a little weird to take care of pups who are your ex-mate's? Plus, you've never taken care of pups before."
     "That's why I wanted to ask you something: would you help me take care of the pups if I had to?"
     Cori's eyes grew wide. "Yes, of course! I'd do anything for you..." The male's voice trailed off and he stared at the ground.
     Charity smiled then walked up to her Beta and pressed her neck to his. "That's very sweet of you, Cori."
     "Y-yeah." The Sloughi stuttered.
     Outside the den, the rain drops began to slow and eventually stopped. The sun began to peek from behind the parting grey clouds.
     Charity inhaled the air of her newly washed territory and let out a snort.
I guess I'll go lead a Hunting Patrol.
     The Alpha leaped off of High Rock and headed toward the Hunting Den. She pushed through the drape made of moss and her eyes met bulgy brown ones.
     "Morning, Alpha." Suzie yawned and shook her fawn pelt.
     "Morning, Suzie. Do you feel like hunting this morning?" Charity smiled already knowing what the young dog would say.
     "Of course! I'm always up to hunt!" The massif dog disappeared behind the drape barking with delight.
     Soon Charity chose her Hunting Patrol that consisted of Dash, Kimora, and of course, Suzie.
     Before leaving, the Alpha hurried back to her den and met her stretching Beta. "Keep an eye out while I'm gone, okay?"
     Cori tilted his head and let out a low whimper. "Where are you going now?"
     "I'm gonna lead a hunting patrol." Charity prepared to jump off the ledge when she heard the male dog call behind her.
     "Can I come with?"
     The Windhound smiled and let out a sigh. "But I need a big, strong leader to keep the pack in order while I'm gone. Oh well. I guess I could ask Riv-"
     "Never mind! I'll stay and make sure everything runs smoothly. Go ahead and hunt I'll stay." Cori hurried out of the cave and sat at the edge of High Rock. He puffed out his muscular, tan chest and scanned the territory through slitted eyes.
     Charity let out a woof of laugher and stood next to her Beta. "What would I do without you?" She lapped the male on the muzzle with her tongue.
     His cheeks immediately turned red and he nodded. "Good luck with the hunt."
     "Hey Alpha! Quit flirting and let's get hunting!" Kimora's voice interrupted their moment. The two leaders' cheeks became red as they parted ways.
     Charity gave her older sister a playful glare and lead her team through the bushes before sneaking a last glance at her handsome Beta. Her heart began to flutter.
   Cori, what have you done to me? She thought as she walked further and further away from him.