1

started on: 9th March 2017ended on: pending

ended on: pending

Laying my aching back on the bed, I sighed in exhaustion. The grey clouds hung swollen in the late night sky, an occasional rumble coming from above. Rain hit the window, an intense yet peaceful sound making my muscles ease. Ever since my childhood, I have loved to sit by the window sill, a book and a mug of warm tea in my hand as the rain hit the window relentlessly. Oddly enough, it calmed me.

The sky rumbled once more, a bright light spreading through the night sky. Wind howled outside, carrying leaves and everything that was thrown in its way.

I gazed at the grey ceiling and grey walls to match of my small room. It was dull as I could not afford many decorations. Sitting up, I grabbed the photo frame that sat on my bedside table. I stared at it with a faint smile, tears pricking my eyes. My mother, father and I sat on a sandy beach, my six year old self oblivious to the cruelties of the world.

My father held me in his arms, a grin imprinted on his lips. My mother sat beside us, grinning ear to ear. Her red velvet hair was flowing behind her, my own brown hair was up in two pigtails.

I took my features mostly from my dad, my brown eyes and hair, whilst my mother was a velvet red head with bright, lively green eyes. My cheekbones were somewhat high like my mother's, my lips plump and natural red. My height also came from my mother as I stood at a measly 5'3.

Breaking out of my trance, I wiped the stray tears from my eyes before looking back at my mother. Her eyes, they were to die for. Ever since my father died my mother was overthrown with responsibilities, her eyes becoming more dull by the day. Wrinkles were sprinkled on her forehead from frowning so much.

Ever since my father's death, we came face to face with the realization that we were no longer safe. No longer had we had a person to protect us from the creatures of the night. My father was a highly respected man, even by the vampires. He served war even with a small child that he had back home. However after his death, all the respect rotted away, reminding us that we were nothing but human.