Chapter Ten

AN: Hello, again! Just a heads up... this is AU, so things will be different in some places. I'm trying not to alter too much of the canon content, but it may happen. I'm sorry if that bothers anyone! Finally, thank you for all this wonderful support and commentary. You guys rock.

xXxXxXx

The little grouping of spirits vanished hours ago, but Gabriel promised he'd be back in the morning.

After a semi-thorough healing from Sean, Sang was left to her own devices. Apparently, they needed to talk to their brothers; about what, Sang wasn't sure. She assumed it had to do with her connection to the spirit of Hope, but they may be wishful thinking as another part of her whispered about her insecurities.

Now, she laid in bed with her eyes focused unblinkingly on the white washed ceiling. There was a nagging in her chest, something that urged her to stay awake. It felt tight and uncomfortable, making Sang cautious and overtly aware. She didn't feel that sensation often; but when she did, there was a reason, usually malicious.

Sitting up, Sang brought the comforter over her shoulders as she peered around her shadowed room. The area lacked anything openly threatening, but Sang couldn't push the feeling off. It seemed to grow the longer she waited and after a few moments of consideration, she blinked crusty eyes toward her alarm clock.

3:21 A.M.

The red, blocked numbers made her hair stand on end. Darkened shadows hiding in the corner of her room seemed to grow larger and Sang made the split decision to push herself out of bed. Her limbs ached as they landed on the carpeted floor, but she continued her pursuit until she stood upright in the center of her room, standing like a beacon. Green eyes glanced back toward her alarm clock.

With a start, adrenaline began to pump through her limbs. The time hadn't changed.

Even though her instincts screamed at her to move, Sang stayed in place and stared at the clock. Her logical mind tried to explain to her that a minute hadn't passed or maybe the power shot out earlier and the clock was stuck in factory reset. Counting down from sixty, Sang continued to gape at the clock. Even as her mind hit zero, the numbers didn't change.

"It must be the power," her voice was barely a whisper in the silence, "That's it."

By now, Sang should have known better then to question the oddities that happened around her.

With a shaky sense of determination, her feet led her to the light switch and a moment later, yellow light bathed her room in clarity. Everything was normal at first glance and Sang let out a shaky sigh of relief. Her ease lasted until she turned to look at her window and everything stopped.

The roof of her house had a bit of an overhang from the first floor, allowing Sang to climb out the window and rest upon it. It was her safe space when the insides became too suffocating, a tiny escape from her realities. But, even as her heartbeat returned to an attempt at normality, it seemed that wasn't going to be happening anytime soon.

Between the white washed siding and on the other side of her paneled window, an owl peered back at her. Its tawny head tilted sideways and the predator seemed to look her over in the same fascination. The owl's yellow eyes were distorted from the glass, giving it a human air. It was unnatural.

"Holy crap," Sang breathed as she took another step backward, her body resting against the wall, "You scared me—"

She was cut off when the owl hooted, a long, miserable sound that crawled out of its mouth. Even with her window firmly shut, the noise echoed into her room and Sang snapped her hands over her ears. Her eyes remained firmly locked on the bird even as it unfurled its massive wings and let out another ear-splitting hoot.