Chapter Thirteen

Slim fingers tapped over the dusty carpet.

Sang's focus almost faltered at the movement, distracted by the peripheral sight of Victor's delicate hand, but she held firm. Separating herself from her mission would only bring defeat and this wasn't something she'd allow any longer. They were still in the back room of the library, but their earlier comforting had twisted into a battle of wills.

"Sang," ever since she'd mentioned her plan, Victor's noble tenor steadily started to become exasperated, "Princess... please listen to me."

In all her years of life, no one would ever think to call Sang Sorenson head-strong. She was meek and mindful, never letting herself fall prey to disobedience. But as she sat there, with knowledge pouring into her thoughts and consciousness, she felt a firm sense of courage. It was as if a heavy hand sat on her spine, pushing her forward, forcing her to work for what she desired.

Sitting cross-legged on the floor, the soft edge of her shoulders tightened, "I'm sorry."

"That isn't—" Victor sighed before raking his free hand through his hair, "You can't be a part of this. We can't—"

Her own hands fell onto the top of her knees, "I need to talk to Owen... or Mr. Blackborne? If he's too busy, I can call Kota, right?"

Ducking his head, Victor made a noise reminiscent of groan, "Sang..."

"Victor," pushing herself to her knees, Sang peered at the boy in front of her. Despite the new information, it still took her by surprise at how clearly she could see the humanity in him. Though a layer of supernatural hung about, she could see the mortality in his expressions and attitude. "You guys, you saved me. If I can help I'm going too."

"But you can't," his head shook, tousling silky brown strands, "We aren't a part of your world, anymore."

Cheeks flushing red, Sang's green eyes flashed, "But I am! I'm... I'm..." her voice fell soft, "I'm part of your world, aren't I?

She felt the scorch of his gaze before he responded, "Yes, but you shouldn't be, princess. You deserve a normal life."

"Well," palms rubbing against the tartan carpeting, she crawled to her feet. The added height blossomed into determination, "I don't want a normal life. I want this— I want you guys and I—"

The life seemed to seep out of Victor's shoulders, but eventually he released a huff, "Think about what you're saying, Sang. We want you too, but life is different for a human. We're not the same."

Her eyes fell shut. Human. The word sent a strange reverberation through her, bringing up a myriad of thoughts and confusion. They don't live here anymore... A deep breath expanded her chest. They were changed. Her skin still prickled with the knowledge of Victor's stare, but Sang was too concerned with the awareness flashing through her cortex. I want to know. The air in her lungs whooshed out with her next question.

"I have to talk to them," the nails of her fingers clenched into her palm as she opened her eyes to meet Victor's gaze, "But— I think I'm going to need your help."

Judging by the expression that dipped his lips, Victor had an inkling of what awaited them.

It was time she understood everything.

Even if she had to go to them to do it.

xXxXxXx

An hour and a half later when they were alone together in her room, Sang decided the emotions residing in his gaze were incredible.

For some reason, Victor reminded her of Luke. It was an odd comparison for certain, but Victor's charm fell into the realm of ease she'd only encountered with Luke's easy chatter. It was as if both boys had the ability to bring others into their space and allow them to just... co-exist. A symbiotic relationship if you will, but where Luke brought entertainment, Victor brought comfort.