Prologue

"Miss Puan, please stand up and read the third paragraph out loud," the teacher said, pushing his glasses up his nose. Gen's eyes widen in fear and she shook her head, one hand tightened around her textbook, the other around a small bottle of golden liquid chained to a silver necklace. The teacher walked to Gen who sat at the back of the classroom.

"It is okay Gen, I will be here to tell you how to pronounce the words you don't know."

Gen looked down to stare at the open textbook. "Mr. Johnson," she swallowed before speaking up again, "it's not that I don't know how to pronounce the words, i-it's just that I-"

"Well then, Gen, please stand up and read the third paragraph. Come on, we don't have all day," Mr. Johnson interrupted, walking around the classroom until he reached the furthest spot away from Gen. "Now, Miss Puan, loud and clear, please. I want to be able to hear your voice from here."

Gen stood up, shaking like a falling leaf. She tugged her necklace away as she brought the textbook up and began the first sentence, praying to God that nothing would happen. Before Gen could speak her first word, the bell rang, filling every corner of the classroom. Gen let out a sigh of relief before sitting back down in her chair. Mr. Johnson shook his head as he saw the class's attention was no longer on the books but the bright sun outside the classroom.

"Class dismissed," he said, sighing heavily. The classroom was filled up with chatter and the sound of chairs being pushed away as soon as Mr. Johnson finished his sentence.

Gen was the last to walk out of the classroom. She hung her head low, not wanting any attention. Suddenly, she felt a push from behind. She gasped and fell on the floor, her notes flying everywhere.

"FREAK!" yelled the boy who had pushed her.

"Hello to you, too, Manson," Gen muttered, desperately gathering her books and notes as she tried to run away before someone could cause a scene.

"Well, well, well," came a sharp female voice from behind Manson. "If it isn't the little witch."

Gen cursed under her breath before turning to face the tall girl. "What do you want Georgia?"

"I don't know Gen," Georgia tilted her head slightly, "I just really hate you." She smirked and stepped on Gen's notes when she tried to pick them up again.

Gen sighed and stood up. "If this is about Jonathan, Georgia, then for the thousand time, I did NOT do any-" Before Gen could finish her sentence, a harsh slap was delivered to her face. Georgia was shaking with anger, her face red, hand still in midair. Noises of the hallway were replaced with thick tension and silence as everyone turned to look at Gen and Georgia.

"Listen, slut," Georgia whispered, staring straight at Gen, whose eyes were filling with tears from the pain, "why don't you just go to Mama and beg her to find someone to be your boyfriend? Maybe that will stop you from hooking up with other people's boyfriend." Gen winced at the mention of her mother. Tears hit the ground but she wasn't sure if it was because of the physical or emotional pain.

Georgia grinned in victory and folded her arms together. "Oh I forgot, you don't have parents to go to. Maybe that's why you're such a drag," she said, turning on her heels and walking away.

Gen, still shaking with tears in her eyes, clenched her fist around her necklace before running off to the front gate of the school. She had had enough of this hell. All she wanted to do was drown herself in fictional worlds, just to escape for a little while.

Watch The Worlds Collide: The Beginningजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें