v.

When she's still a freshman and he's still a senior, it's really.. weird. Their strange bunch of friends.

Laf is leaving the next week to go back to France for a week, Thomas sighed and rolled his eyes and complained the entire ride to the first football game of the season to see Laf's friends Laurens, Mulligan, and Hamilton play. He's looking indifferent like he's dying in the sunlight, but he crosses his left ankle over his knee the same second Peter does, and he should really join them at the table for meals instead of just holidays.

"Alright," Jane says loudly so they're all sorta huddling on the center stadium bench, all leaning and bumping each other's shoulders. "Remember that --" She has to stop to snap Peter's attention away from glowering at the enemies on the opposite side of the field. "Bring it back, hon. Bring it back. Refocus."

"Jane," he groans, all flustered and emasculated. Until she pats his knee, and it's sweet even when Thomas rolls his eyes and Laf makes a face.

"Remember that we, Peter, Gilbert," she continues pointedly with a fixed look, "do not make fun of the other team. Or our team. We don't need a repeat of the band incident."

"The band incident?" Thomas asks. He'd gone out with his friends that day.

"It's not my fault."

"Shh, Peter."

"It's Lafayette's fault."

"I didn't know that kid's parents were behind us!" he shouts, holding up his pompoms.

"He was a lousy trombone player anyway," Peter grumbles snidely.

"Anyone seen Eliza or Peggy?" Angelica asked. Her sisters were going to come, "supporting their boyfriends" they called it. Of course, Angie doesn't think that Hamilton is good enough for Eliza, or Laurens is good for Peggy.

"I see Laf's ex."

"You're joking," he pales.
"Crazy hag," Thomas says the same instant Peter calls her a crazy bat. There's a second where they lock eyes and grin, same bone structure and everything, but then he's going up to look for his friends and Peggy and Eliza plop down on the bleachers behind her.

"Hey." Eliza says, squinting and looking for Hamilton.

"So," Jane smiles, gentle with crinkles at the corners of her eyes, "where's this boy you think is cute? Remember I know his name, his hair color. I could probably get James' mom to get his social security number, too."

"Yeah," Angelica giggles, nervous and short. She points to a boy standing just off the field, one she's never seen before, and the stadium erupts in cheers. Their team's running out. Number 51 waves wildly in their general direction, Hamilton. Laf and Eliza cheer wildly.

Laf knows every word to the cheerleaders' chants, oh, God.

There's a stomp on the bleachers next to her, dark blue Converse, and when Thomas bumps into her, he smells like nicotine and popcorn and autumn and holds his drink out to her. "Anyone get knocked out yet?"

"Yeah," she says, except no -- they didn't -- but yeah.

a/n: hey guys! I'm still alive! I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, so leave a vote or comment and I'll see you guys next chapter.
~laur