xii.

She's twenty-one and spent an hour trying to decide between the blue dress or the green dress or the light grey dress.

Laf's getting married to a woman that he met back in France, a woman he describes as lovely and perfect and beautiful and sweet and loves horses and everything he ever wanted but never found in the pizza guy. Her name's Adrienne, and she's such a sweet person, oh, goodness, she instantly loves her and knows they've found true love in each other.

Thomas scoffed in his fist when she toasted something similar to them at the rehearsal, but he's the one that's standing up there with Laf on his big day, so the joke's all on him. She has a spot in the first row next to his grandma and Peter and Jane, and all of her men just look exquisite ties and black coats and coordinating colored pocket handkerchiefs. The day is sunny and beautiful and perfect weather for riding a horse, Adrienne says, but perfect weather for a wedding, too, because it's perfect and lovely and she's crying and Thomas keeps looking at her from where he's standing next to Laf up there during the vows, and she can't help it.

She's thinking about it.

More than she wants a wedding, she wants a marriage to Thomas.

When the bride and groom kiss with too much tongue to really be appropriate for a wedding, everyone cheers and Peter shouts so loud and everyone laughs when Thomas gives his best man speech.

He tells everyone about the time he and Lafayette had the terrible idea to sneak out one night and head for Vegas since it seemed brilliant until they settled for trying to make it to the nearest bar that was conveniently a gay strip club. And because he's an ass, he keeps talking into the microphone about Laf's obsession with Top Gun and the road trip where they decided that if one of them died of starvation, the other just had to die of loneliness 'cause what else are friends for? Sometime after the story about the time Angelica got her period in the backseat of James's gently used car when the three were going to see Jaws premiere again in theaters, he had everyone laughing about the groom asking her on the phone which brand of tampons she wanted and how heavy her flow was and if the cardboard looking applicators hurt, Thomas sorta just stops, and he says that he's always been his best friend. And he's very honored to have met him and given him away to the crazy woman that wanted forever with him.

Everyone awww's. Laf looks like he'll cry for the seventh time. Thomas says he should thank him for not telling the story about what could have been a gambling addiction and identity theft. Laf tells him to shut up.

Adrienne's bouquet hits the back of Thomas' head when she tosses it.

She dances with Alexander and Madison and then Laurens and then Adrienne and then her parents and then her sisters and then Laf, and when Thomas interrupts and asks for a dance, she smiles and politely excuses herself from Laf.

"I like your speech." She said to him. He grins and spins her around, that goofy grin on his face.

And she realizes that she's glad she's here.