Chapter 2

JESS BRUSHED A STRAND OF HAIR OUT OF HER FACE. She flashed one of her "LED light" smiles (named appropriately by Cory) as she passed one of her fellow cheerleaders, a red haired girl named Kiki.

She was walking down the halls "like a model", her friends would say, hand in hand with her boyfriend of three years.

Laurence Zvahl's emerald-green eyes met hers as they smiled happily at each other, a height difference noticeable but never cared about.

They were the "Power Couple" of the school, "Future Prom King and Queen", if you will. School never seemed to bother them, rumors never broke them apart, and schedules never affected them.

As they separated to head to their classes, Laurence blew a kiss to Jess, who giggled and pretended to blow one back.

She walked into her first class glowing brighter than the sun. For her, life was perfect.

***

Jess frowned when Laurence was nowhere to be found at the football field, where some of the football players were still present.

She felt her phone buzz in her pocket. Jess turned it on, seeing a text from Laurence.

Laurence: Hey babe, went to the library to get some work done :) <3

Jess smiled, texting him a short reply and heading down to the library to meet him.

Reaching the library, she looked around in confusion as the place was seemingly empty. Stepping out, she quickly called Adam.

"Hey, Adam?" she asked.

"Yeah?" was his reply.

"Have you seen Laurence anywhere? He just texted me saying he was at the library, but I can't find him anywhere."

"Oh..." Adam hesitated. "Well, after practice, I saw him and Michi walking to Laurence's house. Were you three supposed to be doing something and you missed the location?"

Jess shook her head, even though she knew Adam couldn't see her. "No, he literally just texted me saying he was at the library."

"Does that mean Laurence... lied?"

"I-I guess so," Jess leaned against the wall. "I thought he-"

"Maybe he just sent it to the wrong person," Adam said supportively. "You two are still going strong. Maybe this was just a one-time thing."

"I-I guess." Jess didn't believe it, no matter how hopeful Adam sounded. "Thanks, Adam, you're the best."

"Anytime, Jess. Call me if anything else pops up."

"Okay. Bye, Adam." Jess hung up, putting her phone in her pocket. She stared up at the sky, the light blue slowly being invaded by tendrils of a soft pink.

Maybe Adam's right, Jess told herself. Laurence probably sent that to the wrong person.

But why would Laurence lie to someone, whoever it might have been, about going to his house with Michi?

Maybe it was his father, and he and Michi had met before and didn't like each other. Jess wouldn't be surprised if Laurence's father disliked Michi- that snake snitched and spread rumors whenever possible.

No, it wouldn't be his father. Laurence would never call his father "babe".

Would he? Laurence did some questionable things sometimes. Their first fight as a couple was about which one of them should have a table's hand in marriage.

Jess shook it off, denying that her perfect boyfriend would lie to her about being with another girl. She headed home, deciding to not bring it up at school and believe Adam.

But as Jess went to bed that night, she couldn't shake off that cold feeling that had gripped her as soon as she discovered that Laurence had lied.

[ i have plans to edit "chapter one" out as it was quite rushed but i'll do it later im lazy and in the mood for more fandom hunting. also im v sorry for the short chapter but i promise as soon as the action starts, the chapters will be longer :) ]