Chapter 7

[ there's a new character being introduced this chapter! some of you MCD fans might know him ;) his personality is more like his PHD counterpart btw ]

JESS SAT UP STRAIGHTER AS CLASS STARTED.

"Now, we will be doing a project," the teacher said. "We will be working in partners-"

The class let out a collective cheer.

"-of my choice."

The class let out a collective groan.

"So once your name is called, please move to sit next to your partner. After all partner groups have been read, I will explain the project."

Jess automatically locked eyes with Adam. She shared science class with both Adam and Shelby, both of which she would be willing to work with, but for some reason, Shelby was absent.

Shelby was never absent.

Jess broke eye contact with Adam as her name was called.

"Jessica Xineoh with Aaron Lycan."

Jess looked around for "Aaron Lycan", when she found him at the front of the class, his dark, brown- almost black- eyes staring back at her. She gave him a friendly smile, one he didn't return, and gathered her things.

As she made her way to the vacant seat beside Aaron, she shared a brief look with Adam, one from him that clearly meant: Good luck.

Jess sat beside Aaron, who was looking away from her.

She cleared her throat. "Hi! I'm Jess."

He didn't turn his head her way, only responding with a quiet, "I know."

It was strange. His voice wasn't quiet and shy. It was low, yet had a sturdy tone. It was deep, it was clear, and yet it was still quiet.

Jess resolved to leave him alone, leaning back and watching the rest of the groups moving to sit together.

"Adam Dahlberg with Shelby Grace."

Adam immediately moved to the vacant table behind Jess and Aaron. Jess automatically turned to the door, hoping Shelby would walk through. She didn't.

Adam shrugged, having also checked the door for any sign of Shelby. "I'll text her the details after school."

"She has a phone?" Jess asked, frowning. "I never knew that."

Adam furrowed his eyebrows, before his face relaxed. "Oh, right. Sorry, I forgot she didn't have one."

Jess laughed quietly. "Yeah, it's weird. I can't text her for comfort when you and the others are being annoying."

Adam stuck his tongue out and ripped a page out of his notebook. "I'll write it down instead and give it to her when she comes back."

Jess nodded. "I think she'll appreciate that. She can just tape it in her notebook if she's busy."

"Yeah, speaking of busy," Adam said, the goofy grin on his face falling into a frown, "why are all of our friends suddenly so busy next Friday? Beutoy's had a rivalry with Xilten for years, decades even! This game is one of the most important ones of the season!"

Jess watched as Adam ranted about their school's rivalry with another, and gave him a small smile. "To be fair, Adam, we don't know everything that goes on in their lives. They can't really control what happens when."

Adam sighed. "I know, I'm just..."

"Frustrated?" Jess finished.

Adam nodded. "Yeah, that." His expression turned to sorrow. "I wish they could come."

"Alright, class, settle down," the teacher said, giving some talkers a look that plainly meant: Don't make another sound or I'll give you an F. "Now that you have your partners, I would like you to make conversation with them, if you haven't already. Decide who's available when, and set aside times to work on this project."

The room filled with chatter as people turned to their partners and started talking.

Jess looked over at Aaron, who had started to write in his notebook. She thought carefully about what to say, but Aaron beat her to it. He ripped out the page he was writing on, and, without looking at her, shoved it into her hand.

Jess stared at him. She shrugged to herself before carefully uncrumpling the paper and reading what he had written.

Aaron's handwriting was surprisingly neat for someone who scribbled something on a piece of notebook paper in five seconds flat. He had shoved his schedule, written neatly in black pen, into her hand.

Monday: Busy

Tuesday: Busy

Wednesday: Available

Thursday: Busy

Friday: Available

Saturday: Available (afternoon)

Sunday: Available (afternoon)

Jess read Aaron's schedule quickly, thinking of the days she was available as well, when her eyes landed on a small note written on the bottom of the page.

PS: Just because we're partners doesn't mean we can be all "buddy buddy". I don't want to associate with your crowd.

Jess frowned. Her crowd? What did Aaron mean by "her crowd"?

She tore out a page from her own notebook, writing down her a schedule with a note at the bottom.

Monday: Busy

Tuesday: Available

Wednesday: Busy

Thursday: Available

Friday: Available

Saturday: Available

Sunday: Available

PS: Why not? We don't bite. ;)

Jess placed the note by Aaron, nudging his elbow.

His dark eyes landed on the note. He picked it up, reading it carefully, before scowling and writing something in response. He didn't bother giving it to her this time. Aaron threw it down carelessly, his face staying in a scowl.

Dahlberg is okay. So is Nahrebiab, Crater, and Grace. Zvahl and his "gang" on the other hand... Von Rosenberg, Ro'Meave- those people.

Jess read the note. She glared at him. "Laurence would love to be friends, too! And what do you mean, 'gang'? Those are his friends, not dealers!"

Then, for the first time, Aaron looked at her in the eye. "Are you sure you know your 'boyfriend' as much as you claim to? Because I beg to differ."

Jess ignored him, looking up at the teacher as she began explaining the project they would be working on. Neither of them looked at each other for the rest of class, resolving to ignore the other even as they bumped shoulders when exiting the classroom. But Jess couldn't stop the nagging voice in the back of her head telling her Aaron was right.

"Are you sure you know your 'boyfriend' as much as you claim to?"

Laurence.

Michi.

Gone.

House.

Boyfriend.

Maybe her friends weren't the only ones keeping things from her.

Maybe Laurence had some secrets, too.