Chapter 1: little town

Elsa looked out of the window of the castle.
She had to take a book back to the library today, she sighed. She hoped they had new books there, but doubted it, the library was very limited. Ever since her parents died, she escaped the mundane by reading. At least the books were interesting and not just politics. But they were over too soon. Donning her gloves and making the long walk to the library frightened her every time. What if someone found out?
"Conceal," she whispered. "Don't feel. Don't let it show." These words were flooding her mind. To her delight she found a book that was new. "Now what do we have here", Elsa muttered half to herself. "Norse mythology, intriguing". She cautiously exited the old and quaint building and started back to the castle.

Anna was thrilled when Elsa gave her a chocolate muffin, and Elsa sat down next to her to eat the tiny mint petit fours she bought for herself
"Ooooh new book!" Anna cried.
"Yes! The librarian said I could keep it as a gift since I came so often. She's so nice." She took a bite from a petit four and skimmed through the index when she froze -- almost literally.
Frost giants.
Elsa's fingers went numb. She got up and packed up her stuff, running to her room before Anna could notice the ice forming on the book's spine. Phew, Elsa thought to herself. She hated shutting Anna out like this, but she couldn't know, she could never know. "I'm sorry Anna", she quietly whispered. She gazed at her breath as a white puff. Her eyes widened. "Why was I born with this curse?" Elsa cried out, she yearned to tell Anna why the tiny cursive words in the book made her frozen heart lurch
But with their parents gone she had to protect her baby sister.
Their mother died in their vacation home in Paris, she was only two- Anna was a baby,when she was ten their father died in a shipwreck.
Elsa was all Anna had left, and all she did was read, shut her sister out and cry when her ice powers broke through. It had been like this for so long, it became a disgusting routine.
Something had to give. Maybe someone could help her control her powers, or help with Anna.

Meanwhile Anna would go see her new best guy friend Kristoff at the market once a week, she always brought back something from the market as a souvenir. The last time, she'd brought a little silver mirror with intricate swirls on the handle and around the glass. This time, she wanted a sort of decoration, something that everyone could see and admire.
Kristoff was right where he always was, wearing that charming smile.
Anna had a small crush on him, Elsa could tell, but he was a commoner- what would come of it?
He couldn't handle ruling an entire kingdom- Anna couldn't do that herself. Elsa could barely do it shut in her room and reading books all day. But if Anna loved him... Who was she to stop it?
No, SHE needed to find someone for herself. A prince, maybe, or at least a wealthy man. But more than that, who she could trust with knowing her powers. Maybe that prince who was the youngest of 13 children in the kingdom of one of their allies to the south... he was visiting right now, they had passed each other when she was on her way back, and had briefly talked. But he seemed... off... she couldn't figure out what it was.
But she shook her head, she couldn't think about that now.

"Elsa! I'm off to the market! Do you want me to bring you something...?" Anna called,
For some reason a sudden image of a white rose with frost on it came into her mind. Where did that flash image come from, she thought.
"A rose!" She called.
"Okay!" The door slammed and Elsa was by herself.
She looked around her room and cleared a small table for the rose. Then she searched the boxes in the closet until she found what she was looking for-- a glass jar and a matching glass plate. Perfect, she thought.
She continued on her ice sculpting skills, a hobby She had taken to to try to control her powers, and She formed a tiny ice palace in the glass dome, to be protected from the elements for all time.
When she was done, it was so intricate and exquisitely detailed that she couldn't take her eyes off of it.
But she had to because it was then she realized that Anna was late.
She was never late for anything...
Something was terribly wrong...
And that's when she saw Anna's horse galloping across the bridge to the castle below.