Chapter 6

"Excuse me." A bossy sort of voice asked from the doorway. "Has anyone seen a toad? A boy named Neville's lost one."

"Sorry, no we haven't." Draco said. 

The girl sniffed. "Well, if you see one, we're in compartment 13." 

She left.

"Who was that?" Ron asked. 

"That's Hermione Granger." Draco said. "She keeps going up and down the train, telling people off for being too childish."

"She sounds annoying." Ron commented.

"She kind of is." Draco nodded. "But she won't leave you alone just because you ask her to."

"Wonderful." Ron groaned. 

"Well, don't look now." Harry said, pointing out the window. "Hogwarts is approaching. We'd better change."

The boys changed into their school robes, stowing their Muggle clothes away. 

"So, Harry," Draco said. "If you've got the choice, which House are you going to?" 

"Um..." Harry thought a moment. "Gryffindor." 

"Huh." Draco nodded. "I'd have thought you'd have wanted to be in Slytherin. What with, your father being Head of Slytherin."

"You think I want to put every school punishment in his hands?" Harry scoffed. "Yeah, right. I'd rather go with Grandma M."

"Who?" Draco asked.

"Oh, McGonagall." Harry turned slightly red. "It's just... I've spent my whole life with them, so they're basically family, and..." 

"No, don't be embarassed." Draco said. "Just... tell us who you mean the first time, and we'll do our best to remember." 

"Okay." Harry grinned. "I could just tell you now."

"No, that would take forever!" Ron quickly said. "Just tell us whenever you use one for the first time."

"Okay." Harry grinned again. "Got it." 

The Hogwarts Express pulled into Hogsmeade Station, and the students started disembarking. 

"Firs' years over here!" A loud, familiar voice yelled. "Firs' years this way!"

"Uncle Hagrid!" Harry exclaimed, hurrying over. 

"Hello, Harry!" Hagrid smiled down at him. "And who're these?" 

"Oh, this is Ron Weasley and Draco Malfoy." Harry introduced his new friends. 

"Wonderful to meet yeh, Ron Weasley and Draco Malfoy." Hagrid beamed at them. "And I'll tell yeh, Ron, don' go followin' yer brothers' footsteps. Musta spent half me life chasin' 'em away from tha' forest over there." 

Ron flushed a bit. Hagrid looked up to see a group of nervous eleven year olds gathered in front of him.

"This all've yeh?" he asked. "Righ', then, follow me!" 

The first years followed Hagrid to a fleet of boats. 

"No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid shouted to the first years. Harry, Ron and Draco were followed into their boat by Hermione Granger.

"Everybody in?" Hagrid asked. "Right. Forward!" 

The boats set off across the lake, and Hagrid led them into the castle, where McGonagall gave them a speech before leading them into the Great Hall. Before Harry knew it, his name was called. 

"Potter, Harry!"