Chapter Fourteen

Christmas came and went. By the time it was February, Harry's scar burned almost constantly. Harry withdrew from his friends, and from Severus, as well. All mentioned were worried about him. 

February 14, Valentine's Day, arrived. As the group of friends was sitting in a Transfiguration class, Harry's scar suddenly burned white-hot. Harry knew what this meant. He gasped, and his hand flew to it. McGonagall studied him suspiciously, and in concern. 

"May I go to the Hospital Wing?" he managed. 

"Yes, Weasley, go with him." McGonagall instructed. The pair hurried from the classroom. 

"I can go alone." Harry hurriedly said. "You can go back to class." 

Ron pretended to return, but instead followed Harry stealthily. He was going to the third floor corridor. 

Ron ran back into the Transfiguration classroom, and over to Draco and Hermione, who were working together to turn a rat into a snuffbox, preparation for the exams. 

"Harry's gone to the corridor." he muttered. "We need to go now. We've got to tell Snape." 

The pair stood immediately. 

"Can we go check on Harry?" they asked in unison. 

"I'm sure that can wait until after class." McGonagall looked suspicious now. 

"But shouldn't someone tell Professor Snape that Harry's in the Hospital Wing?" Hermione asked. "And someone should tell Harry he's coming." 

McGonagall sighed. "Fine. Hurry back, though, please." 

The trio ran from the classroom and down to the dungeons. Not bothering to knock, they burst into a sixth year class. 

"Weasley, Granger, Malfoy!" Severus snapped. "Get out of this classroom! Thirty points from Gryffindor!" 

"But, sir, it's about Harry!" Hermione pleaded desperately. 

Severus studied them. "Where is Harry? Isn't he usually with you three?"

"There are lots of threes where Harry's going." Ron stated cryptically. 

The class stared at him. So did Severus. Ron sighed. 

"The three has a big teeth." he added. 

Severus looked alarmed. "Why would he go there?" 

"Because someone's trying to steal it!" Hermione shrieked. 

Severus stood, and then seemed to remember the class was there. 

"Class dismissed." he said. The sixth years hurried from the room before he could change his mind. 

Severus swept from the dungeons. 

"You three go back to class." he said. 

"No!" they yelled in unison. Severus looked at them in slight surprise.

"Please, sir, Harry's our best friend!" Draco said. "We have to come with you!"

Severus sighed. "Do exactly as I tell you, understood?" 

The trio nodded. 

When the door opened, no snarls or barks met them. Instead, deep breathing and heavy snores. A harp played in the corner. 

"Someone was here." Severus whispered. "And I know Harry doesn't know how to enchant instruments to play by themselves." 

They hurried over to the trapdoor and heaved it open. 

"Down there is Devil's Snare." Severus whispered. "Remember, it hates light and warmth, so make sure you have a fire spell ready."

The trio nodded, and all four of them jumped at the same time.