Yoga?

IM SO PROUD OF THIS

ONE

Yoga is difficult for the one whose mind is not subdued. (Bhagavad Gita)

"Degenerates," Ryan mutters. "My friends are all degenerates."

He kicks the bottom of Spencer's vintage Nike sneaker. It's bright pink around the edges with a rubbery sole.

"Oh, go write a poem about it," Spencer sighs, flinging one arm over his eyes.

"You want some?" Jon asks from where he's sprawled out on Spencer's bed. "There's a toke or two left. Spence, where did you put the bong?"

Spencer makes inarticulate sounds and turns over on his stomach, pressing his cheek into the carpet.

"It's good shit," Jon says.

"I have class in like half an hour," Ryan says, sniffing and wrinkling his nose. Spencer's bedroom smells like weed and b.o. "Can you move your dumb ass please? I need a book."

"I'm comfortable," Spencer mumbles. "Skip class."

"I like this class," Ryan says. "We're reading Byron. Byron fucking rules."

Spencer snorts, finally shifting to give Ryan just enough space to wedge himself into the tiny bedroom. Ryan drops his backpack onto the desk chair with an exaggerated sigh and begins pawing through a pile of books on the floor. Goddamn his bedroom for being too small to fit his own desk.

"Hey, so, Ryan," Jon says. "We were thinking, for your birthday – roller skating party?"

"I vote for bowling," Spencer says. "There's probably bowling easily accessible somewhere."

"Or, y'know, pizza?" Jon scratches at his beard. "Whatever toppings you want. Go nuts."

"You guys are hilarious," Ryan says, lifting his copy of Don Juan from the stack. "Just because I'm not drinking doesn't mean we can't have a good time."

"But it makes it so much more difficult," Spencer complains. "We're in college, Ryan. Did you not notice?"

"Byron would be totally down with drinking," Jon says. "He would, I know it."

"Probably," Ryan says. "I don't think making Byron your role model is a good idea, though. Dude had a lot of STDs."

"Oh syphilis, let down your golden hair," Jon says, gesticulating with one hand and nearly slamming it into the wall.

"I'm going to class," Ryan says. "Don't you assholes ever go to class?"

"When I get bored," Spencer says. "When I'm not with Haley."

Ryan pales. "Oh God."

Thinking of Haley reminds him of what may have transpired on this desk. Multiple times. He spins around, slings his bag over his shoulder, and pushes his way out the door.

"Damn," Ryan can hear Spencer say. "Ever since he discovered Rimbaud and clean living, he's so boring."

"Speaking of syphilis," Jon says thoughtfully.

"Don't Bogart that shit, man," Spencer says, and Ryan knows he's reaching for the pipe.

*

Brendon marches out of the changing room and nearly runs headlong into Pete. Pete is wearing tight black jeans, a t-shirt with a tuxedo print, and a red and black hoodie – in other words, his formal wear. The shoelaces of his red sneakers are undone, and his shoe flaps gape like open mouths.