03.2|| Detention

Bad idea. It had been such a bad idea. With all his training, Sam had forgotten that he couldn't actually fight more than two people at once. He'd thought it would be easy. Except dodging punches form five directions wasn't easy. And his brain seemed to catch up with him the moment Jimmy stepped in and left all six boys lying flat in a matter of seconds, without leaving a mark on them.

Sam had. He'd bruised two of them before the deputy headmaster stepped in and stopped the fight. So he was now in the headmaster's office, awaiting punishment. He slumped in the uncomfortable wooden chair and focused on a smudge on the crimson rug. It looked a little like blood.

The door opened and Principal Robinson stepped in, slamming it shut in his wake. Sam didn't turn around, just waited for the teacher to have a seat behind his massive desk. Once seated, the man surveyed Sam over joined fingers.

"I have to admit, Sam," he started, "I'm more used to having you in my office to congratulate you for your academic results. Never would I have anticipated something like this."

Guilt spiraled around Sam, catching him in a painful vice. There was nothing he could say to that so he just kept quiet.

"Care to explain?"

"They were picking on Jimmy," Sam mumbled.

"And obviously, your brother could fight his own battle," the headmaster answered. "Unlike you."

Sam rubbed the bruise on his face, annoyance grabbing hold of him and throwing some of the guilt out.

"Such behavior will not be tolerated, Sam."

"They shoved me first. It was self-defense."

Principal Robinson raised his eyebrows. "What Jimmy did was self-defense. What you did was instigate and start the whole thing."

"That's not fair. I only told them to back off."

The principal raised his hand to stop any other potential words. "You should've stayed out of it."

Yes, he should have, but it was a little late for that. So Sam returned to admiring the smudge on the carpet.

"You have to learn how to control your temper, Sam."

Sam's head shot up. "My temper," he repeated blankly. "This had nothing to do with my temper."

"Then you attacked your colleagues in cold blood?"

That sounded even worse so Sam lowered his head and stared at his knees. He had gotten angry, and now he found it hard to understand why. It hadn't been that bad and Jimmy was actually amused by the whole thing.

"An explosive part of your personality is coming out and I'm not sure I like it."

"I've never done anything wrong, my school record is impeccable and now I get into one little brawl and—"

"You're only proving me right," the headmaster said in a calm voice.

Sam stopped and returned to analyzing his lap. There was no point going any further with this. The headmaster was right and he had to take responsibility for his stupid actions. He shuddered as Snitch Gravel's parting words rang inside his head: You guys are more like me every day. Was this it? Had Snitch Gravel seen this irrational side of Sam and rubbed his hands satisfied that there was evil in him?

No! Sam actually shook his head. This was a mistake, but he could do better. He'd control himself and think more and not let anything like this happen again.

"I'll let Deputy Bronn take care of your punishment," the principal said, folding a piece of paper. "I think that alone will be punishment enough." He handed it to Sam.