06.1|| Sibling Rivalry

Sam officially felt like crap. Knowing that Tom was actually on a mission didn't make him feel better about being left out. It made him feel a thousand times worse. Not being able to scream it in Herrison's face made him feel even more frustrated. So he'd basically turned into a walking storm cloud, huffing and puffing at innocent people like Harry and Lisa. And Christine.

Except Christine wouldn't take it lying down. She huffed and puffed in return and pointed out that he should stop being a jealous asswipe because it did nothing for his sex-appeal. Which Sam didn't give two craps about.

"Honestly, Sam, stop caring so much," she said, rolling her amber eyes at him. "It's actually good that you're not the biggest dork for once. Increases your cool factor."

Sam slammed his locker shut, his hands trembling with nerves. Yes, he was in a crappy mood and it wasn't her fault, but damn it, he'd had it with her nagging.

"It's actually fun that you're the troublemaker in detention while Tom is the good boy," she continued, amused. "I like you better like this."

"Like me better?" He twisted to face her, his fists clenched. "Don't you have something better to do?"

Christine's eyes widened in shock, probably at his rude tone. "Oh, excuse me, I didn't know I was bothering you."

He saw it. The displeasure in her voice, the trap laid out for him. "You're not bothering me, but you're not helping either."

"I'm trying to help. I just don't see what the big deal is. Tom just went on an internship."

Even if her attitude bugged the hell out of him, Sam had to give her some credit. His frustration made no sense to her because she didn't know. Of course she didn't understand.

"Tom's not on an internship." He lowered his voice to a whisper. "He's on a mission."

She stared at him blankly for a few seconds and Sam's shoulders relaxed. But then she let out a long breathe as if she were relieved.

"Thank God," she said.

"What?" Fortunately he'd sounded shocked rather than incredibly pissed.

"That means you're staying home."

No, it didn't. It meant he'd be leaving soon, too. Very soon, he hoped. But the fact that Christine couldn't make that basic logic connection kind of bothered him. He hadn't ever thought of his girlfriend as stupid until Tom's jab, but now he wondered if he really knew her at all.

"No, it doesn't," he said flatly.

He watched the expressions change on her face: shock, worry, confusion, annoyance. Defeat. And he couldn't understand why and it hurt. Because it made him question his entire relationship and his feelings and hers. The warmth he felt in his chest for her was still there, but could they actually have a real conversation about serious stuff?

"Sam, I don't want you to go," she finally said.

She'd said that before. But this time, he didn't feel as selfish as he did back then. Because this time, it was all about helping Tom and Angie. "I have to help Tom."

"No, you don't." Her words felt like a slap in the face. "You have to stop being such a control freak."

"Excuse me?"

Christine waved her hand. "This damn hero complex you have. Why can't you trust that Tom is just as competent as you and can handle his assignment? Why do you always have to make it about yourself?"

Was he really making it about himself? Guilt and fear of being unfair pushed his stomach to the floor, twisted it in an uncomfortable knot and set fire to it. Now he was just hollow and probably a control freak with a hero complex. Was that why he felt so crappy? Because he was untrusting rather than worried? Jealous rather than responsible?