English Language Papers! - part one

So for the new English GCSE, you have to language papers - 20th century and 19th century.

The 20th century has two extracts, and then proceeds to have 7 questions (but it's 7a and 7b). You then have to do a piece of transactional writing.

Now, my tip from my English teacher was to do the writing first as it's 40 marks - she said that if you don't finish 7b, but have a great piece of writing, you're fine and there's no need to worry.

Questions 1, 2, 4 and 5 are your basic picking out a piece of information from the two extracts. That's easy, it'll take you less than ten minutes honestly. In my mock I did those questions first, as they're easy, so then my focus was on the trickier ones.

Question 3 is ugh. I don't know how else to describe it. You have to analyze the language and structure of the first extract, and you've got to spend 15 minutes on this question. Use comments like "combined effect" and "coupled with" to explore the interrelationship of language and structure and to achieve top grades.

Question 6 is where you evaluate how a theme/idea/event/effect/feeling is presented in the extract. Again, you should spend 15 minutes on this question. You should use TIES (Themes Ideas Events Settings) to answer the question, and use "combined effect" and "coupled with" to achieve top grades and you must comment on the effect of the reader!!

Question 7a is actually one of my new favourite questions on this paper. It's where you have to find three similarities between the two extracts and use a quotation to support your answer. Begin with "both texts...." Or "furthermore, both texts...." This answer doesn't have to be too long as there are only 20 lines provided to answer on.

Question 7b is something that could literally fuck you up the ass tbh. At least you think, until you practice it a gazillion times in class and now you kinda know what you've gotta do.

So in 7b, you have to compare how the two writers present their ideas and perspectives. You need about 4/5 points of comparison. You can discuss both similarities and differences in this answer. Use analytical verbs and evaluative language to answer sophisticatedly. Your essay must be balanced - dealing with both texts equally.

(A/n

Hi guys! Sorry for not updating in forever, it is getting super close to the exams and school's been mental, and it's not been fun.

In fact I have my final French controlled assessment on Friday (I barely know anything wish me luck aha).

But this is the run down of the 20th century paper, and I hope to have the 19th century paper up tomorrow. In English we've been doing so so so many practices on these and loads of essays, I actually feel like if I went into either one of these exams tomorrow morning, I think I'd be okay - or I'd at least get a 6 so there's that aha!

Hope you liked, please don't forget to vote, and comment if there's anything you wanna see me go over like science revision maybe? (Just as a warning I do double award so I don't know any B3, P3 or C3) but yeah....

Hope you're all okay and have a lovely week ^-^

Xoxo Laurie)