Chapter 15: Field Trip

- Jaune

walking back to the dorm after having to deal with Cardin and his blackmail I stopped just before the door when I heard the voices of my team-...of the others in there.

[Nora] "how come Jaune gets home so late?"
[Ren] "He's become rather scarce since he started fraternizing with Cardin."
[Nora] "That's weird... Doesn't he know we have a field trip tomorrow? We need our rest!"
[Pyrrha] "*angrily* I'm sure our leader knows exactly what he's doing."

Oh man... I really made her angry didn't I...

[Ruby] "Hey Jaune!"

Ruby startled me from behind, looking at her she seems to be dressed in her pajamas and she giggled at my startled reaction.

[Ruby] "long time no see, did you lock yourself out again?"
[Jaune] "oh? Ah! Nope! *raises scroll attempting to laugh* Got it!"
[Jaune] "I uh..."

I decided to tell Ruby everything. About how I'd messed up big time, Cardins got me on a leash after finding out I faked my papers, Pyrrhas mad at me and I think Cardin might have overheard something about Ryu... I left that last part out. I told her that I'm starting to think that me coming to Beacon was a mistake.

[Jaune] "I'm a failure."
[Ruby] "Nope!"
[Jaune] "Nope?"
[Ruby] "Nope! You're a leader now, Jaune. You're not allowed to be a failure."
[Jaune] "But... what if I'm a failure at being a leader?"
[Ruby] "*thinks about it for a moment* Nope!"
[Jaune] "You know, you're not the easiest person to talk to about this kind of stuff."
[Ruby] "Nope!"
[Ruby] "Jaune, maybe you were a failure when you were a kid...*Jaune groans* and you might have been a failure the first day we met! *Jaune  groans again* but, you can't be one now. You know why?"
[Jaune] "uhhh, because...?"
[Ruby] "because it's not just about you anymore, you've got a team now, Jaune. We both do! And if we fail, then we'll just be bringing them down with us. *Ruby placed her hand on her hips* We have to put our teammates first and ourselves second. Your team deserves a great leader Jaune. And I think that can be you. Have a good night Jaune!"

She opened the door and waved before going inside. She and Ryu both... no wonder they get along so well.

[Cardin] "Hey! It's your buddy Cardin! I know you're probably busy with that Dust project I gave you, buuuut I'm gonna need you to go out and get me a bag of Rapier wasps. And make sure they've got some really big stingers! It's important, so don't screw this up!"

*Sigh* guess I'd better get to it...

- Ryu

Ruby walked back into the room with an accomplished smile on her face.

[Ryu] "heya"
[Ruby] "sup!"
[Ryu] "good job out there."
[Ruby] "ehe. If you think I did good then reward me!"
[Ryu] "you're my leader yet I'm the one rewarding you?"

Ruby quickly skipped over to me and planted a kiss on my lips. The sudden and unexpected warm feeling on my lips surprised me, leaving me speechless.

[Ruby] "reward received. Good nigh Ryu~"
[Ryu] "Y-yeah..."

-

We've arrived at forever falls. The red expanse laid out before us so vast it's like looking into a sea of blood. Honestly it's a little unnerving.
After last nights unexpected kiss, I haven't really had the chance to talk to Ruby since Yang starts emitting a fiery aura every time I get close.

[Glynda] "Yes, students, the forest of Forever Fall is indeed beautiful. But we are not here to sight-see. Professor Peach has asked all of you to collect samples from the trees deep inside this forest, and I'm here to make sure none of you die while doing so."

Each of us is holding an empty jar each, that is, except for Team Crdl who seem to still have Jaune at their beck and call.

[Glynda] "Each of you is to gather one jar's worth of red sap. However, this forest is full of the creatures of Grimm, so be sure to stay by your teammates. We will rendezvous back here by 4 o'clock. Have fun!"

At the mention of the Grimm I place my hand on the pommel of my weapon instinctively. I guess I'm becoming more accustomed to the whole humans v Grimm idea. Especially considering every Grimm I've come across thus far has wanted to do nothing more than kill me and everyone else. Father really was one of a kind.

Team Rrwby and Jnpr (including me) trek off into the woods in search of a good spot to find some sap. After a bit of walking, Yang grabs me from behind, pulling me behind a tree and holding me there by the collar of my jacket.

[Yang] "so, care to explain what happened last night?"
[Ryu] "w-what?"
[Yang] "don't play dumb! I saw you kiss her. If you plan on hurting her, I will punch you. Very. Hard."
[Ryu] "duly noted. But you know she's the one who kissed me right?"
[Yang] "what?"
[Ryu] "and, here, let me tell you this. As her sister, you have nothing to worry about."
[Yang] "Give me a reason."
[Ryu] "because I love her."
[Yang] "...what?"
[Ryu] "please don't make me say it again..."
[Yang] "that..."

Yangs tough girl demeanour faded, being replaced by a somewhat cheeky grin while her tight grip on my jacket loosened before tightening again in the form of a bear hug that I swear caused me to hear my bones creak.

[Ryu] "Yang...please...release.."
[Yang] "Oops! Hehe, sorry. I just got a little excited.
[Ryu] "*after being released* what's up with that? First you angrily threaten to kill me, then you almost do kill me in happiness!"
[Yang] "I said I was sorry! Sheesh!"
[Ryu] "*sigh* at least we got that sorted out... shall we go back to the others?"
[Yang] "that sounds good. Lead on Ryu Rose!"
[Ryu] "*Turning red as a rose* ..."

-

When we returned to the rest of the group, Nora could be seen with the area around her face covered in sap while handing Ren the empty jars to be refilled. Blake was sitting by a tree trunk reading a book with her filled jar sitting next to her. Pyrrha, Weiss and Ruby are just finishing their sap collections. When Ruby saw us she waved excitedly almost causing Weiss to lose her grip on her jar.

[Weiss] "Ruby! Careful!"
[Ruby] "ah, sorry Weiss..."

I smile back towards Ruby as Yang puts one arm around me in a half-headlock, half-hug but the moment she does; a sweet smell fills my nose, negative emotions begin to rise and an Ursais roar can be heard nearby... Jaune!