Chapter 1

It was May 1978 and Meryl was in the apartment she shared with her late boyfriend, John Cazale. It was a hellish time for her. She never expected that she would have spent the last year watching her boyfriend die of cancer. Cancer was such an ugly disease, and watching someone she loved dying from that demon tore Meryl apart. She looked around and realized this wouldn't be home for much longer. Due to the fact that her name wasn't on the deed, so she had to find somewhere else to live. She didn't know what to do, but now wasn't the time to worry about it. She had to go to the screening of her new miniseries, The Holocaust. She had barely been out in public since John's death, this was her first big event. She didn't know if she could do it, but her brother said he would be there with a friend of his so she knew she wouldn't be alone. She put her hair in a barrette, took one last look in the mirror, and walked out the door while she was constantly taking deep breaths.

***

Meryl had just arrived when she saw her co-star in the mini-series, James Woods. "Jimmy." She said with a small smile whilekissing his cheek.

"Meryl, you look beautiful as always." He said.

"Thank you. This is a small screening room." She laughed.

"Yeah, you know networks. How are you?" He asked after seeing the hell she had gone through that past year.

"I'm doing good." She plastered on a smile.

"Meryl, this is me, I was there. How are you doing, really? Are you going out? Do you feel like opening your heart up to anyone yet?" He asked placing a loving hand on her shoulder.

"No, not yet. I am just trying to get through the days. It just feels too soon." She choked.

"I understand, you know John wanted you to be happy. He wouldn't want you to put your life on hold." He said sympathetically.

"I know." She smiled, and she did, they had talked about it. "One day at a time." She said as her brother came over with his friend.

"Hi, sweetheart." He said kissing her cheek.

"Hey Third, thanks for coming." She said kissing him back. Her eyes were glued on his friend. Meryl thought she actually felt her heart skip a beat. He was gorgeous-he was tall, dark, and handsome.

"James, good to see you." He greeted James.

"You too, Harry." James said as they shook hands.

"Oh, I'm sorry. James, Meryl, I would like you to meet a friend of mine, Don Gummer." Harry smiled as James and Don shook hands.

Meryl looked at him, looked at James, and James could tell she was blushing. He had a good feeling about this Don Gummer fellow.

"Nice to meet you." She smiled as she reached her hand out to shake hands with him.

Instead of shaking her hand Don bent down and kissed her hand. James saw a little spark, Harry saw it, Don felt it, and whether or not Meryl was ready to admit it, she had felt it too.

"Thank you for inviting me. I have heard about Third's big sister for so long, it is nice to meet you." He smiled.

Meryl thought she might actually go weak at the knees at the sight of his smile. It was a lop-sided, closed mouth, smile that lit up his entire face.

"We are glad you could join us." She smiled, trying to relax.

"Mer, I invited Don because I thought you would like to talk to him about soundproofing your apartment, remember we talked about that." Third said.

"Yes, unfortunately, it will have to wait until I get back from Europe." Don said as he was preparing to leave the country to tour Europe on a bike.