Chapter 2 - Sounds Behind the Walls

After a few seconds, the door was opened by a woman in her mid thirty’s.  She had long black hair, bags under her eyes, and she wore a purple t-shirt and jeans.

“Mrs. Ostrum?” Nancy asked.

“Yes?” she said.

“I’m Nancy Drew,” Nancy said. “This is Bess Marvin and George Fayne.  Helen Archer sent us.”

“Oh, yes.  Please come in.” Mrs. Ostrum said and opened the door wider for the girls to come in.

“I’m glad you came, considering the circumstances.” Mrs. Ostrum said once they were seated in the leaving room.

“We’d be worried if Nancy didn’t come, Mrs. Osrum.” George said and Bess tried not to laugh.  Nancy smiled a little.

“I’ll help in any way I can.” Nancy said.

“Thank you, dear.” Mrs. Ostrum said, “You girls must be tired.  I’ll show you to your rooms.” 

Nancy had a room to herself while Bess and George shared the room next to Nancy’s.  Nancy got changed into pajamas (it was at least 10: 00 p.m.) and went to bed.

Nancy woke up with a start, then she looked at the alarm clock on her nightstand; it was 3:00 in the morning.  Nancy heard something upstairs in the attic and got out of bed to check it out.  When she was in the attic, no one was there, but the sound was louder.  It was behind the wall.

Nancy pressed her ear to the wall, being as quiet as possible. Then suddenly, the sound stopped.  I’ll look in to it in the morning.  Nancy thought, then she went back to her room and went to bed.