The Meeting

6

The Meeting

               After leaving the inn, James and Tula went back James' home, where she helped him tend to his wounds. Riana was obviously very angry at the both of them.

               "You were gone for less than two hours," she commented, "how did you manage to get into a fight with grown men, James?"

               "Mom, I told you, they started it!" he defended, "It was completely self-defense!"

               "It just isn't like you," she sighed, shaking her head.

               "It was mostly a mistake on my part," Tula admitted, finishing up with James' bruises, "Put your shirt on."

               "No, it wasn't your fault it was theirs," James cut in, reaching for his shirt.

               "Don't put it on just yet," yes grandmother instructed as she came in with a pot of her healing herbs. She sat across of James and set to work rubbing the herbs into his bruised skin.

               "It doesn't matter whose fault it was," Riana said, "as long as it doesn't happen again."

               "You can't stop a kid from growing up, Riana," his grandmother said. "I remember when Aaron was 15. He used to get into fights all the time. As long as it's nothing serious, it's natural in a boy's life to get into a few squabbles."

               "Yeah, and look how Aaron ended up," Riana suddenly yelled, "I don't want to lose my son in the same way I lost my husband!" tears were streaming down her face. She quickly turned and ran into the kitchen, closing the door behind her. They could hear her muffled mournful cries seeping through the door and into the living room.

               "Here, drink this," his grandmother said, handing him a cup of some boiled herbs. James scrunched his nose at the smell but did as he was told. There was an awkward stretch of silence between the three of them, with only Riana's weeping through the door.

               His grandmother took the pot and the empty cup and made her way to the kitchen, "I guess I'll go talk to her," she said, her voice sounding wearier than usual.

               "Sorry about this," James sighed, pulling his shirt over his head. Tula said nothing.

               Sillia walked in, carrying a basket of eggs. Her smile quickly disappeared when she heard Riana crying. "What happened?" she asked, worried. Without waiting for a response she rushed into the kitchen with the other two women. After a second, Riana's cries were reduced to sniffles, and eventually stopped completely.

               James and Tula waited patiently in the living room until Riana came out, followed by James' grandmother and Sillia. His mother walked up to him and hugged him tightly.

               "I'm sorry honey," she whispered into his ear, "I'm just worried about you."

               "I know mom," James said, hugging her back. "I'm sorry, too."

               "As am I," Tula said, "I can promise that it won't happen again. James getting hurt, I mean. They'll still be fights, though."

               Riana laughed quietly, "That's good enough for me."

               "Well, I'll be going-" Tula started saying, but James' grandmother quickly cut her off.