The Present

7

The Present

               "You made this by yourselves?" Joshua wondered when they arrived at the training grounds.

               "Actually, I made it myself," James said pride fully.

"Well done!" Joshua said, patting him on the back. Tula watched the exchange discreetly while sharpening the knife she had used at the inn.

James reached into his pack and pulled out two knives, handing one to Joshua. "Knives are not really my thing," he admitted, "Maybe I can learn with you."

"You can't be as bad as me," James laughed, "watch." He took aim, holding the knife the way Tula had taught him the day before. However, he let go of the knife too early and dug itself into the cliff face almost a meter above the target.

"Wow," said Joshua, "That is pretty hard to beat." He held the knife in position, Tula watched carefully, judging his stance. He threw the knife and it landed on the side target, only a few inches away from the middle.

"What?" James yelled, "I thought you said you were no good."

"I said it wasn't my thing, not that I couldn't do it," Joshua corrected. "This is my thing," he said, grabbing his bow. He reached back and pulled out an arrow. Without any hesitation, he fitted it into the bow and shot at the first target, then pulled out another arrow and shot at the second target on the cliff face, then another and shot it at the third and last target.

James's mouth hung open. All three arrows landed perfectly in the middle. "Amazing!" he finally managed to say, staring at Joshua with wide eyes. "Teach me how to do that!"

"How about you master your knives first, one thing at a time kid," Joshua replied, moving forward to collect his arrows. James rushed to help.

"How long did it take you to learn how to do that?" James asked.

"Years," Joshua replied, "My friends and I used to do all sorts of crazy things when we were young, including this," he pointed to his bow.

"Wow, I wish I had friends to practice with," James admitted.

"What about Tula?" Joshua asked, "Isn't she your friend?"

"Tula's my ally, my mentor and my partner," James clarified, "but she's no one's friend."

Tula, who was leaning on a tree a few feet away, heard every word that had they said, but decided to ignore it. She had finished sharpening her knife a while ago, but didn't want to interrupt their chatter. It was about time James had a man in his life. Living with three women made him soft. That was his main weakness. He couldn't actually hurt anyone.

She wondered how her actions had affected him. Her killing spree in Vendigards hideout, which he had witnessed, could not have left him unscarred. That was one of the reasons she had come to find him.

"Time to start," she finally said. Joshua and James stopped their conversation and walked over to her. "Before we begin," she added, "Here," she handed James a brown belt that she conjured from inside her cloak. James looked from her to the belt, confused.

"Me?" he asked, pointing to himself.

"You can't keep carrying your weapons in a pack," she informed, "it's dangerous and inconvenient." James took the belt from her unsurely.

"Come on kid," Joshua said, "the woman's giving you a present, hurry up and try it one."

"O-ok," he placed the belt around his waist and fumbled with the ends until he got it to close securely. "Thanks Tula!" He beamed, rushing to his pack and placing his few weapons into the slots and pockets of the belt.

"That was nice of you," Joshua whispered to Tula as they both watched James gleefully fit his dagger into the left pocket. Tula said nothing, staring on. Suddenly, she saw her brother, Emaris. It was just a flash, a split second, but she saw him in James. In his smile.

It had been more than five years since his death. She had already avenged him by killing Vendigard and his men. So why was he still haunting her? She breathed in sharply to clear her thoughts then made her way to the targets. "Let's get started James," she ordered, trying to distract herself.

James ran forward, grabbing one of his three knives from his new belt, still smiling. He stood in the ready position, the knife by his ear. Tula reached over and fixed a few things; moving his fingers apart, lowering his arm a few inches.

"Keep your eyes on the target, keep the knife at eye level," she instructed. She spotted Joshua watching them, amused. "You too," she called; pointing to the target next to the one James was aiming at. "You need to get it precisely in the middle."

"Yes, ma'am," he replied, moving forward, "but I don't have a knife."

"Use your dagger," she instructed.

"How did you…" he laughed, "You're good." He reached under his shirt and pulled out his dagger.

"James, watch your timing," she mentioned.

"You let go too early and it goes too high," Joshua added.

"Okay," James nodded, soaking up their instructions like a sponge, his eyes showing determination.

"Now," Tula said after she had them both in their starting positions "throw." The two of them threw their weapons, with James letting go at the right moment this time.

"Good job James," Joshua said as James knife struck wood, though nowhere near the middle.

"It's still too high," James complained.

"Yeah, but it's definitely better than the first time," he assured, "Try again."

"You didn't get it in the bull's eye either," Tula said to Joshua, "both of you collect your weapons and throw again."

Many hours and countless throws later, Tula decided that the two of them had had enough. As soon as she said the word, James collapsed to the floor in exhaustion, breathing a sigh of relief. Joshua replaced his dagger under his shirt and seated himself next to James.

"You sure worked us hard," Joshua complained to Tula, who stood a respectable distance away against a tree.

"But you finally got it in the middle," James said, "after all that I still couldn't do it."

"I told you James, it takes years of practice," Joshua advised, "How do you expect to master it in a few hours?"

"I have to if I want to join Tula on her next mission," James complained.

"What do you mean?" Joshua asked, lowering his voice so Tula wouldn't hear.

"We're both Black-List Hunters," James explained, lowering his voice involuntarily "Why are we whispering?"

Joshua didn't answer. His eyes grew wide as he looked between James and Tula in disbelief. "You're Black-List Hunters?" he repeated in bewilderment.

"I know it's kind of hard to believe in my case," James laughed at his reaction, "But Tula is amazing."

"I'm sure she is," Joshua said, finally regaining his senses. "So you said something about a mission."

"Oh, Tula's going after-"

"James, that's enough," Tula suddenly cut him off, making him jump.

"But-" James started, but Tula lifted her head and glared at him with her cold blue eyes. He shut his mouth immediately.

"Let's go," instructed Tula, righting herself and turning into the forest.

"Bye Joshua, nice to meet you," James said quickly, jumping up.

"Yes, you too," he replied, "I'll be seeing you around."

"Not if Tula lets me go with her," James called, running after Tula, "Then I'd be gone by dawn."

Joshua watched James receding back until it disappeared before finally making up his mind. He got up slowly and wiped the dust off of his clothes before making his way back to town, his mind racing.