Part Eighteen: I would bet on us.

This is ridiculous, to say the least. Sure, at first I considered this whole act quite endearing and somewhat funny; and watching Harry get all keyed up about my dad's relentless enquires was definitely the cherry on top.

But now I'm not entirely sure if it was an act to begin with. Not to mention that, even if it was, I am not finding it neither endearing nor funny in the slightest anymore.

The way he stares at me, as though he is trying to intimidate me into submission, only manages to send my blood coursing boiling hot through my veins.

But I know that if I want my father to take this seriously and to remember that I am, in fact, an adult who has managed herself rather successfully for a few years now, I need to keep my emotions at bay and keep calm.

"Dad..." I say, breathing deeply and doing the utmost effort not to raise my voice. "You're being unreasonable and you know it."

"Am I?" He asks as if he was amused by my words, and I can see my mother hanging her head backwards in exasperation. "I really don't think so, kid. He is not sleeping in your bed. Not tonight, not under my roof."

What in the bloody hell has gotten into this man all of sudden? He has never been the jealous, overprotective father before and it's like he is trying to compensate for that ten times fold.

I understand that he has his reservations towards Harry, I really do. But he hasn't been anything but polite and charming throughout the entire evening, putting up with my father's questions and comments with way more grace than I could have ever muster myself.

"I'm not a child anymore, dad." I tell him, knowing that sometimes saying that can be interpreted as quite the opposite. "You can't forbid me things."

"Angus..." My mother finally decides to intervene. "We are not letting this kid drive alone in the middle of the night."

Bless her heart for taking my side on this, but calling Harry a kid hardly helps me to get the whole I am a grown up point properly across.

"I'm sure he can manage just fine, right?" He addresses Harry, who at this point looks like he actually wants to get his ass out the door and flee.

"I'm sure that he can." I respond on his behalf. "But he won't. He is my guest and this is my house, too. I don't know why you're being like this, but you have to stop. I love him, dad... And you, out of all people, should understand that."

He looks at me and I can see his eyes flicker. He understands perfectly; he knows what is like to be young, madly in love and having his parents underestimating his feelings because of his seemingly inexperienced, foolish age.

His shoulders drop as he breathes out heavily, wringing his hands together and nodding slowly.

"Ellie, bring the game!" He says, and my mother quickly rushes off, clapping with excitement.

"Thank you, dad!" I hug him tightly, feeling both released and triumphant. But he gently puts his hands on my hips and pushes me away.

"Don't thank me just yet." He tells me with a wicked grin. "I haven't said he can stay."

I frown and I fold my arms over my chest. I guess I should have known he wasn't fully convinced by my words. After all, I thought I had softened him up yesterday and yet here we are.

"But you just..."

"I'm not saying he can stay here tonight." He cuts me off. "I'm saying that he can try. We are betting on it."

And I'm supposed to be the child in this situation.

*****

By the time I fully wrap my mind around what's actually going on right now, my mother is already clearing up the table and spreading Trivial Pursuit on it.

My dad is talking to Harry, who apparently agreed to this nonsense while I was trying to process this new development, and I hear him walking him through the specifics of the bet.

"Are you seriously letting him go through with this?" I ask my mom discreetly, and she shrugs.

Her hands are rapidly arranging the wedges by color, and then spreading the board so everything can be ready for the match. Apparently, she is quite eager to get this thing going as much as my father does.

I notice that she only sets two playing pieces, so I guess she decided it is best for us to stay out of it; and since I am not okay with this, I don't protest.

"Choose your battles, honey." She pats me on the shoulder. "You know your father, and this is as far as you can stretch it. Let's hope Harry's general knowledge is on point."

I definitely hope so, too.

And I can't help but to chuckle a little, though. Here I was, trying to approach things as a grown, balanced woman for a change, and I never stopped to think that I was dealing with a nine year old trapped in a six foot two man.

"Okay, then..." My father walks over to us, and turns around to where Harry stands. "You win, you stay. You lose, you don't."

"Actually..." Harry speaks for the first time in minutes, and he has a weird look on his face. Mischievous, actually. As though he has something stewing in his mind. "I was thinking about something more... appealing to you."

I stare at him, like I'm trying to mentally draw his attention to me, but he just keeps gazing at my father who is now visibly interested in whatever Harry has to say.

"I'm listening." He states, beckoning him to continue.

I don't know why but I can feel this sense of dread inside of me. The certainty that, whatever Harry is going to bet on, my dad will accept gladly and there will be no chance to take it back.

"You win, I will get in my car and go." He repeats, clearly building the suspense up just for the sake of it. "I lose... You get to chop off my hair."

A/N:

Hello!! I noticed that I haven't done this in a while so I'm just checking in!

What do you think about the story so far? I know this last few chapter may seem a bit of a filler, but they are building up to something. I promise!

What do you think about the whole bet thing? And most importantly... Do you want Harry to win or lose?

Let me know in the comments! And as per usual, thank you so much for sticking around and voting!

Love you all!
Lucy.

P.S: Happy St. Paddy's day! ☘️☘️☘️☘️ Have fun but stay safe!