Chapter Thirty One: Consequences

Cat sobbed until her tiny body gave out on her and she fell into a deep sleep. "I hope you mean what you say about wanting to take care of her," Ib said, tucking her back into bed. He pulled the blankets up to her chin and smoothed down her hair. Showing her tenderness, she'd probably never known before.

We both quietly slipped out of her room and remained silent as we walked towards the royal chambers. "Matilda, have you told Knut about your worries?"

I gave a short laugh, no more than a swift exhale, "No, never. As often as I've chided him for brooding on his past, I have no right to complain. And he likes that woman of stone." I paused and swallowed a lump in my throat. "He married me because I am vicious and cruel. If he knew what I've told you, I fear he'd be terribly disappointed. I don't want him to know how weak I truly am."

"You're the farthest thing from weak. Everyone has their moments when the hard mask they show the world falters. Even Mab."

"I find that hard to believe."

"As frigid and cruel as she is, she loves Bran. When she's alone with him, she becomes warm and affectionate, like an entirely different person. She reads to him each night to help him sleep and when he is troubled by nightmares, she rocks him back to sleep, pets his hair, sings to him." Ib held his hands behind his back. His eyes were downcast, watching the floor. His Adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed. "You mean to kill Bran, don't you?"

I nibbled on the inside of my cheek, contemplating whether to answer that loaded question. Whether he was our friend or not, he couldn't lie to Mab. I chose to redirect the conversation. "Do you really not know who fathered him? I find that very strange. As long as you've been with her, and as close as you are to her, I'd think you'd know all of her other lovers."

"The situation with Bran is different...and equally strange." He explained. "Since you told me a secret, I'll let you in on one of mine, something only the Unseelie know." My ears perked with interest like a dog's. "The year he was born, Mab went away. No one knew where she'd gone, but when she returned, she held a newborn baby in her arms. She claims that she simply wanted to keep the matter private and give birth in solitude, but the baby's age didn't match up. She didn't conceive until after she'd left on her journey."

"Are you certain he's even her son?" I asked. "I mean, did anyone actually see her with child?"

"She went alone, wherever she went. No one saw her belly swell, but I have no doubt that he is her own. The resemblance is too uncanny, and they are extremely close. Anyway," He let the matter drop. He clenched his jaw, seemingly appalled that he'd told me so much. "I think you should tell Knut how you feel. He picks up on things. When you're in a bad mood, he tends to get that way as well and I'd truly appreciate getting my head bitten off a little less." We stopped just outside our bedroom door. He leaned in nearer and whispered to me in my ear. "He is your husband. I think he'd like it if you would confide in him more." With a small smile lighting his face, Ib vanished, melting back into his world of captivity.

Placing my hand on the doorknob, I began to turn it when I felt a pull. It was like someone yanking my hair by the roots, but internally. So strong and surprising it couldn't be ignored. My gaze slid across the floor, down the pristine hall to the greasy furred goblin sitting on its haunches at the end of it. Agi grinned. I could see his teeth from where I stood. A shaky breath seeped from my lips. "Agi?" I called him. "What is it? Do you need something?" I asked. Agi sat, watching me with fixated beady little eyes. His hairless tail thrashed. "Are you looking for Knut? I think he's sleeping." I said. Agi seemed to glow in the gloom, drawing the eye as if he were the center of the universe.

"I think it is you, Goblin Queen, who is looking for something." Agi cackled. I had already felt the change. I knew it for sure then. I was speaking to The Hollow.