Chapter Seventy Four: Sacrifice

I maneuvered myself so that I was between Knut and our enemies in some desperate attempt to protect him no matter how futile. Ib, it seemed, had the same instinct. He put himself before me, protecting me and the child within me with his own body. As if it would do any good.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"She doesn't know." Jasper chuckled darkly to himself as he continued his hungry circling. My eye followed him, noting his confident stance and the smugness in his expression. There was no doubt in his mind that I was about to die, that he had already won. I moved as he did, readjusting myself so that he could not get a clear shot at Knut. If he wished to lay another finger on him, he'd have to get past me first and I had always been quicker with my strikes that he was. Jasper had never had a taste for killing, at least not with his own hands. I knew he would hesitate and when he did, I would end him. No more mercy or sentiment. No more dragging this out. One strike, one blow to his heart, and I would put an end to our dance once and for all.

"You, my little mouse, are going to be the instrument of your husband's destruction." Mab's sharp canines showed in a wicked slash of a smile. Her blue tongue darted out to wet her lips, tasting the scent of blood and decay in the air. "Bran," She purred her son's name, her hand gripping his' in a vice. She glared at him and he, in turn, stared into her eyes, his expression void of all emotion. Time slowed to a crawl as those dark eyes shifted towards me and locked with my own.

I felt it then, a crushing power. The touch of death itself. Its claws raked across my mind and down my spine. I slammed down onto my knees, then was forced further down until my braced hands were the only things keeping my head from smacking into the stone floor. I shivered in that monster's hold, his essence licking at my soul, weighing it, judging it. Though it did not show on its vessel's face, I could feel it smiling.

"Let her go, Mab!" Ib bore his teeth at his master. He knelt beside me and grabbed hold of my arms, trying to pull me from under's Bran's power's weight.

"Or you'll what, my dear Ib? Be cross with me?" She snickered. "Will you cry like you always do?"

Ib's tone was venomous. "This isn't going to end well for you. No matter what, even if you kill us all, you'll never own The Hollow. A weak, pathetic old hag like you is not strong enough to possess that kind of power."

"My plaything has grown a spine, I see. You've learned to stand on your own two feet. How unfortunate. I prefer you on your back." I heard a roar in my ears and something splattered across my face.

It took me a full breath to realize that it was blood. There were three long slashes through Ib's clothing, his shirt shredded to bits. A splash of red bloomed from his stomach, from the wounds left behind by Bran's unseen claw.

Ib sputtered as he tried to speak. Blood seeped from his pale lips, leaving streaks of red across his porcelain white skin. He stared down at his wound in surprise just before he teetered onto his side.

I heard Knut scream Ib's name, heard the chains rattle as he tried to pull himself free. My own scream joined his, grief already taking hold as I watched Ib's lifeblood flow out of him.

"Good lad." Mab laughed. She brushed Bran's hair from his brow and planted a kiss on his head.

Jasper fisted my hair and yanked my head back. "Your husband's death is guaranteed, but lucky you I'm feeling merciful. I'm going to give you the opportunity to save yourself, Matilda. Tell me what you did with my daughter. Where is Catherine?" He snarled.

I spat in his face. He flinched as if it burned him. " The goblins ate her." I shook with laughter.

He kicked me so hard in my face, I felt a molar pop lose from my gums and go flying across the room. Knut roared out threats in his weak trembling voice. Blood filled my mouth. I spat it at his feet, splattering red across his polished shoes and crisp white stockings. "She's somewhere you'll never find her, pig." I hissed. "She's mine." He was never going to harm another girl, never going to use his daughter like he had me and her mother. He'd never have the chance to do anything again. He'd be far too busy being dead.