Chapter Sixty Six: High Tide

"This way, we haven't any time to spare." Crossing the room, Lysander opened up the window as wide as it would go and stepped one foot out onto the ledge beyond it. He turned his body sideways, straddling the window frame, his wings already beginning to unfurl. He extended his hand towards me, his palm open and waiting for my own hand, while his dark curls danced in the strong sea wind and his dark red cloak billowed back from dusky muscled arms.

"We're going to fly to the marriage chamber?" I asked, peaking around him over the side of the palace. It went on and on for some time before being swallowed up by the sea of magic. The tide was scarily high. Magic lapped at The Hollow's greenery, nearly reaching the palace's stones. "Hardly any of the rooms in the palace are completely closed in. The palace was built for flight. It's certainly quicker than meandering through the halls." He said.

I laid my hand over his. He winced at the touch of the iron gauntlets but curled his fingers around mine regardless. "Does it hurt?" I asked. "I could call my goblins, ride on Snorri."

"The guards are keeping a close watch on that bunch. Were they to suddenly disappear, it would be assumed that you were getting ready to attack us. Best to keep it just us till after Kieran's good and dead. It doesn't hurt really." He assured me. "It just feels...wrong. Like a sickening feeling in my gut. Everything in me wants me to stay away from it, but I don't have that luxury today, now do I?"

"I suppose that's true," I said. Every faerie I'd so much as touched with iron had all cringed at the feel of it or reeled away as if in great pain. Though at the time I'd been gleeful at the sight of their discomfort, knowing their weakness gave me no comfort now. I was more than a little afraid that he would drop me out of reflex.

He noticed the skepticism in my voice. "I'll be fine. I can endure a great deal." He scratched the back of his head. "However, if you could wrap your cloak around yourself, I would be supremely grateful."

Pulling my ashen cloak around me, I wrapped it around my front, covering the breastplate before retaking Lysander's hand and allowing him to pull me to his side. He linked an arm securely around my waist and tucked the other beneath my knees, protecting his skin with his cape. In a single motion, he leaped from the window and threw out his wings to their fully open width. He held me like a bride as he took to the sky. I clung to his clothing, the fabric clenched tight in my fingers, a panic sending my heart leaping into my throat. I was used to flying with Snorri, but I felt far less at ease with the faerie prince.

"Don't you dare drop me." I hissed, grinding my teeth. I desperately wished I'd just called Snorri. I didn't feel safe in a faerie's arms in the slightest.

He cringed as I adjusted my grip and accidentally dragged my fingers across his chest where it was bare over the neck of his indigo tunic. "Stop wiggling and maybe I won't." He growled through clenched teeth.

He swooped upwards and banked around the curve of the palace's dome. The sun's incessant light poured down on us, filtering through his pure white wings, lining them with gold. The Seelie, I had to admit, were undeniably beautiful creatures. I understood then, as I gazed at his gold lined, chiseled features, why Jasper had been so convinced that Titania was an angel of God. When you see a Seelie in the sun, so close to the peak of their power, how could you think any differently?

He turned sharply, nearly going sideways. His wings were swift, his movements much more agile and precise than Snorri's. Next to Lysander, Snorri looked like a flying elephant, all awkward and clunky. At the sudden turn, I couldn't help but look down. The sea turned and flipped, the world swirling sickeningly. I squeezed my eyes shut and hid my face in Lysander's cloak to block it out. I focused on the image of solid ground in my head in a last-ditch effort not to heave out my insides. My stomach still hadn't quite recovered from earlier.