ten

emily sat tapping her fingers on the table in front of her; her head rested in the palm of her other hand while she stared at nothing in particular.

ever since she had spoken to harry on the phone she couldn't get his lies off her mind. they danced in her thoughts as she remembered the bittersweet memories of finally hearing his voice again, but hearing it speak to such bitter words.

"you're always away with the fairies" simon chuckled from the seat to her left "always somewhere other than where you really are" he continued watched as emily smiled slightly

"there's no where i'd rather be than here" emily lied, being with harry was better than being anywhere else.

simon chuckled "whatever you say, em" he replied, his hand pushing through his hair as he stood, walking towards his fridge

"you're a safe haven, si" the girl said seriously "you make everything better, despite how hard my heart might hurt sometimes"

"only temporarily"

"temporarily is better than never at all" emily shot back "you take my mind of things, you make me forget for a short while"

"i'm a distraction from the mess that an asshole made"

"he's not an asshole"

"an asshole that you continue to defend"

"he's not here to defend himself"

"do you want to know why that is?" si scoffed at the furrowing girl before him "because he left" he spat

emily said nothing, she did not know what to say. her heart had sunk down to sit at the bottom of her stomach as she looked anywhere except for at simon.

she could not believe he had said that to her, the fact that he's spat it so spitefully at her after everything hurt her almost as much as harry did.

emily finally stood up, pulling her coat from the back of the chair in which she was sat on, placing it over her shoulders before finally speaking "i'm gonna go home" was all that she said, causing simon to also stand from his seat.

"don't go em" simon rushed as he moved towards her slowly "i didn't mean tha- i shouldn't have said that" he slightly stuttered, disappointed in himself, but not because of what he had said about harry, instead for how he had hurt emily's feelings.

"simon-"

"i hate him" simon interrupted "i hate him so much and i'm so angry for what he's done to you and i don't understand how you're not, i've told you this so many times now and i'll say it again, but i shouldn't ever use my anger towards harry against you, so i'm sorry"

"but you still did" emily said before letting out a harsh breath "just forget it si, i have some things i need to do, so i'll see you later" she continued before making her way towards the front door of the sidemen house

"message me when you arrive home" simon said as he watched emily begin to drive away from the house, a soft, but questionably fake smile on her face.

as simon walked back inside the house, making his way upstairs and into his bedroom where he began to try and focus on some work, ignoring the guilt he was feeling for the way he had spoken to emily.

simon cared about emily, deeply. she was one of his longest and greatest friends. she was one of his only friends that remained loyal and genuine towards him throughout every change and growth in his life and he felt so grateful to have her, and that was why he was so angry towards harry.

hours passed by as simon continued with his work, half distracted by his thoughts of how his friends relationship had fell apart so suddenly. it was so strange from an outside perspective, to see them both so happy and in love and then nothing the next. no one understand, not harry, not emily, not simon, not anyone.