Chapter 4: The Bad Girl Gets The Rundown

I pulled my Yamaha R1 into the parking lot outside the dance academy. It was times like this, I really appreciated the fact that I drove a motorcycle in the first place...

...because the motorcycle parking was the only free parking slot left in this parking lot.

The school itself was connected to University of California Los Angeles, so all parking around campus was completely packed.

I could already smell the pretentiousness as I walked up the large stairs towards the enormous glass doors. As I entered, I couldn't help but look at everything. The interior architecture looked modern and simplistic with exposed high ceilings and light wooden flooring.

There was a desk placed directly at the entrance, so I approached the women who was busy typing away on her keyboard. "Hi, how may I help you?" She asked politely, but didn't look up from the screen.

"I was sent here to complete community hours by Judge Brown at Hennepin County. I'm not too sure where I'm heading." I explained. She looked up at that.

"Oh! You must be Alex Diaz. We've been expecting you. Go down this hallway here to the left of me, then take a right once you've reached the end of it. They'll be a door directly in front of you. That's the career opportunities center. They'll let you know what you'll be doing for the next few weeks here." The lady instructed. I said a polite thank you, before traveling down the hallway using her guided directions. There was numbers I didn't recognize at the top of each hallway, but the system looked incredibly organized.

Just like the lady had instructed, I came to a door at the far end of the last hallway. Before I could push it open, the door flung back and a angry looking man walked through. We made eye contact briefly and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion, before he hastily disappeared down a different hallway. I barely caught sight of his before he was gone.

"Hello?" I called out into a smaller looking office space. Another women stepped out.

She was wearing a tight thin pencil skirt and freshly pressed blouse. Her hair was pinned back in a perfect bun. "Hello, I'm Mrs. Drangsteviet, you must be Alex." Her voice was monotoned and incredibly uninteresting as she introduced herself.

"Yes. Hi." I answered awkwardly.

"Please, have a seat." She gestured towards the chair that was facing one of the desks nearest to the door. I took a seat across from her as she fired a computer up. "Now as for hours, you'll need to clock in a total of 36 hours in order for the Ballet Academy to dispense your papers to the court as proof of completion. You may distribute these hours however you'd like. You may not, however, work more than two hours in a day.

"The dance studios will be closed on Sundays, so you'd need to distribute the hours with the exclusion of Sunday's. We'll start you off with mopping the dance studio floors. It'll be your responsibility to keep track of studios that will be open, and studios that will be in use so you don't accidentally mop a studio that'll need to be used within the next hour. To avoid these complications, you may come in during the evenings when classes are in session. The entire building will be completely shut down by 11pm each night however. Do you have any questions for me?" She asked.

I honestly hadn't been paying all that much attention to her due to how painfully boring she was, but I think I got the general gist of it. "Will there be any sort of dress code?" I asked.

"None. Wear whatever you don't mind getting a bit dirty. Maybe sure you're hair is tied back for the most part. We will provide supplies. When you arrive on campus, come here first to clock in your hours and pick up a set of keys for the studios. When you clock out, just set the spare keys back in the box under this counter here." She instructed. I nodded in understanding. "You'll be working with two other guys. You met one of them on your way in a few minutes ago.