Chapter 6: The Bad Girl Gets Invited

"That's a load of bullshit." Gus laughed as Jaq continued to persist.

"No I fucking swear dude. I completely forgot the maintenance guy was scheduled to come check out the plumbing so I lit a bowl. When I heard the knock on my door, I don't think I freaked out so hard. Then I remember weed had been legalized! Man it's a weird time to be alive... I'm not even sure why I still buy from dealers anymore when I can just pick this shit up at the store."

Gus and I started laughing again.

"Have you ever thought about that though? Like could you actually imagine if food delivery guys acted the way drug dealers do? They bring you the pizza... then they decide to sit down and chill for a while, maybe take a slice of that pizza before they leave." I explained. Gus and Jaq continued laughing but our conversation was cut short by someone clearing their throat.

We all turned around to find Mrs. Drangsteviet in another one of her tight boring grey pencil skirts and blouses with her hands crossed at her chest. I don't think I've ever seen a bun pulled back so tightly "Working hard or hardly working?" She asked in the same monotoned voice.

"Working hard, Mrs. D." Gus said with a slight smile on his face that made both Jaq and I struggle to keep our laughter in. Mrs. Drangsteviet's face looked pressed and disturbed as she stared us down for a moment before abruptly turning and walking back down the hallway she came from. "I want that room done before your hours are up Alex or you'll receive a strike." She called over her shoulder. All three of us groaned as soon as she rounded the corner.

"Has she always been this uptight?" I asked the guys.

"For as long as we can remember." Gus answered. "Jaq actually tried to bone her the first day we were hired. The turn down was absolutely epic."

First Objective: Get Gus drunk and watch all the secrets pour out.

"Telling everyone's business, arentchya Gus." Jaq replied with a smile playing on his lips.

I had decided I liked these guys.

"Alright. Break times over, crew. Alex needs to get this done because unlike us, she could actually get into serious trouble. We'll keep the cart going with some music while we work out in the hall. Come grab us if you need anything." Gus spoke as he slipped his gloves back on and began to mix some cleaning solutions.

"See you guys in about an hour and a half." I replied, before dipping back into the room I had begun to clean.

The floorboards themselves looked like shit. The room hadn't been treated or really used in forever. Dust lined the windows and spiderwebs stretched across all corners. I sighed slightly to myself before pulling my hair up into a loose bun, and getting back to work.

~

An hour and a half flew by with a breeze. Before I knew it, my phone alarm had went off right as I was starting to pack up the floor board supplies. Gus and Jaq entered moments later.

"This shit looks amazing, Alex." Jaq commented. I couldn't help but smile at that, knowing these guys would be the only two that actually witnessed AND appreciated my work.

"Thanks, Jaq." I replied.

"We came in here to let you know you can head out now. We also wanted to invite you to this thing tonight." Gus added.

"What thing?" I asked curiously.

"It's sort of like a masquerade party type deal. It's downtown though so you know, nothing too fancy. Drinks will be free for the ladies so come and have fun. Jaq and I have a mutual friend who runs the place so we can get you in for free as well. Tonight is Latin night." Gus replied.

I leaned back against my cleaning cart as I thought about it for a moment. It did sound like tons of fun, but I also had a crazy amount of hours I had to clock in for tonight at work.

"Sorry guys, my uncle has punished me with a ridiculous amount of hours at the shoppe. I really wish I could've gone though." I replied.

"No worries. If you change your mind, or your night frees up, it's Club off Olympic and Central street. It's called Tipsy Bartender." Jaq added.

"Thank you." I smiled at the both of them.

"Not a problem. You can go ahead and clock out. We'll handle the supplies for you. Have a great day, Alex. Hopefully we'll see you tonight!" Gus called. I gave them both a smile before making my way back to the career center.

~

"What I hear is, is that there's a party tonight."

"It's not a party, Jared, it's an event. An event we both can't go to because we both have work to do." I reminded this idiot.

"Shit. What time is the event?" He asked.

"I think it'll most likely start at around 10, and go till like 1. It's Latin night."

"Damn. All them sexy Latina's I won't be able to get tonight because I gotta work." Jared whined. As much as I hated to admit it, Jared actually had game when it came to picking up girls. I wasn't even sure who would willingly get with his musty ass but apparently chicks were into that. "Well why don't you go, and I'll cover for you tonight?" Jared offered. "It's my fault you're even clocking in extra hours in the first place."

"Well I'm glad you realized this is really all your fault, and that's a very sweet gesture, but I think you're forgetting that Tino will be home by midnight tonight." I reminded him.

"Then make it back here by midnight. That still gives you a few hours to enjoy yourself." Jared replied.

"Well even if I go, what will I wear? The only dress I own is what I wore to Aunt Maria's funeral." I spoke honesty. Jared leaned again the car for a few moments, thinking to himself before speaking finally.

"I think I might be able to hook you up."

----------------------------------