I - King's Men

Griffin jogged out of the house, the rays of sun barely reaching the tree tops

The land was eerily quiet as the nature was slowly waking up. Griffin held the two buckets firmly in his hands as he marched through the silent meadow to the Enchanted Forest.

The bright moon was being replaced with the sun and the darkness was slowly fading, which meant the most dangerous creatures that lived in the forest had retreated further north for the day.

As Griffin walked over the tree line, he felt the sweet song of the forest trying to lull him to sleep. Most of the time he was immune to it, but with his sleepy mind it was harder to stay awake.

He forced his senses to be alert, Enchanted Forest was sneaky thing. He might've been part of it, but even for him it was dangerous.

He stopped near the Golden Lake. It was the purest and cleanest lake there was. Yet the townsfolk were too afraid of the forest to come anywhere near it. If they stepped in the forest, it would've probably tried to spit them out.

Grif crouched down, filling the first bucket with the clean water.
Something golden and shiny made him narrow his eyes.
He looked up, where he was met with mesmerizing golden eyes. A sweet Sirens humming reached his ears.

Griffin let out a low growl, to scare the golden Siren away. The Siren's eyes narrowed, her golden eyes turning completely black. She hissed in anger and annoyance and with that, she was gone in the deepest parts of the Golden Lake.

He had no time to waste, there was probably many more of them coming. They are rather stubborn creatures if it comes to victims, especially men.

Griffin stood up and turned to leave. As he heard the sweet song of many Sirens he started jogging, lowly growling under his breath to ignore the song.

He breathed out in relief when he crossed the forest line.

As he walked through the crispy and frozen morning meadow, Griffin made out a woman's silhouette waiting for him on the porch of their old and tired house.

Irma glared at him, earning a cheeky smile from Griffin.

"Griffin Erazmus Llane. What on earth were you thinking! You know those awful creatures would've ripped you in half." Irma scolded her older brother as he came to a stop in front of her, being slightly taller then Irma.

"Sorry, mother. I just thought some clean water would've done some good for your unwashed hair, but hey, I could just throw it on the herbs and -"

"Be quiet and get inside already, its cold here." Irma slapped his head slightly as Griffin slipped inside.

His mother, Elaine, was mixing something in a bowl. It included some kind of new leaves, berries and something else he didn't recognize. Kayla appeared from her small room, looking sleepy and tousled. Kayla was the youngest and oddest in the small family. She was already thirteen winters old, yet no one really knew the limits of her true powers.