V - Madman

It took them six days to help the village on track again

It took them six days to help the village on track again. Griff came to know that they were raided because it was springly tax collecting time. And Derpver didn't have enough to offer. It was just a mere warning from King Korvelius. The message was loud and clear, if they didn't have enough to pay, there would be no Derpver anymore.

The worry hung thick in the air, the anxiety around the place made Griff restless. His senses were tingling, making him annoyed.
He finally finished tying a knot around ball of hay. He was working for Tarons uncle Jamie. It bothered him, because for the past few days he had seen Taron very little, but the man had promised to show him the right way.

He threw the last ball of hay in the corner and left the place he had slept the last couple of days, Dela's sad whining echoing in the barn. He couldn't take it anymore, those people were tricking him. Making him work for them freely while his sister was traveling further and further.

It wasnt a surprise when he couldn't find Taron, but he spotted his crazy uncle in the garden watering dead sunflowers. “oy, oldman!” Jamie turned around, mud covering his old wrinkly face. “don't speak to me, I'm watering the flowers.” he said and turned back towards his dead plants. Griff frowned, getting angrier. “well, since your kin isn't here, I'll just tell you instead! I've had enough with you fools, I'll be leaving today. And I don't care about you, your stupid village or Taron. I'll find my way alone faster, unlike you, I don't have years to wait.” after his little angry speech, Griff was breathing heavily. The worry was making him feel things he had never felt before. He wanted to act and not wait. Waiting made him feel anxious, worthless. The old man acted as if Griff wasn't even there, as if he was just a mere annoying fly.

“I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't yell at my uncle like a madman.” a voice hissed behind Griff, he turned around swiftly. Taron stood behind them, looking tired and sweaty from the days work. Either side of him stood a horse, one gigantic buckskin coloured beast with smart clint in its large dark eyes. The horses black mane danced in the wind, making him look like wrong piece of a puzzle in the slowly dying farm around it.
The  horse on the other hand, was nothing like the majestic buckskin beside him. He had black, dull and matted coat, his ribs were visible in the daylight and the horses eyes looked like death itself.

“well, I was just telling the man that I'll be on my way soon. Six days of tying hay is enough. I don't have all year to play slave.” Griff mumbled, his icy eyes still on the majestic buckskin.

Taron sighed and turned to leave. “and I here though we'd better be off tomorrow morning. But if you wish to go today before nightfall, go ahead. I'll just take the horse back to the butcher then. Got him for free since Frank has his hands full after the soldiers had killed off half of the village sheep, stamping on them like flies.” Taron muttered, anger sweeping off of him in waves.

Griff groaned and pulled his hair in frustration, looking as Taron made his way town the hill towards the broken village. “oy, wait!” Taron stopped and peeked over his shoulder. The younger of the two huffed and jogged to catch up with him. The sand seemed to turn into dust under his feet as he came to a stop next to the horses.
The sun wasn't going to spare nothing and no one.

“we can go tomorrow morning, before the sun rises.” Griff stated, crossing his arms. He had had enough of this playing around.
Taron raised an eyebrow, looking bemused as the younger of the duo tried to order him around as if he was a mere dog. Taron pushed the lead rope into Griffs tanned hand and looked him deep into eyes “or we can go when the horses have been fed, my uncle will be sure he has everything and we have both gotten enough rest. Now let's get those two up into barn, get them some food and clean them. The black horse is your responsibility now.”

Griff was dumbfounded as he eyed up the poor looking horse before him. The horse who had literally been snatched away from under the butchers knife. A horse who looked like he had gone through Enchanted Forest alone in the night.
Besides, it looked as if he was going to collapse if someone as much as touched him. He felt like stomping his foot and burning this whole place down.

First, he had to ride a horse. Slow, dumb beast who probably had fleas. And secondly, he had no idea what to do or where to go. Taron didn't seem to be much help either, he was very thoughtful and waited ages before he made any moves, if he even made them. It seemed he needed to have everything planned.
Griff cursed under his breath as he started following Taron up the small hill towards the barn he had been sleeping in.

It seemed that this journey was starting off  worse and worse, but tomorrow he would get away, tomorrow he would finally have a lead. And if he had everything he needed and right way shown to him, he was going to leave Taron behind and this annoying village as well. “wait up!” he yelled out to the human, trying to drag the dark colored horse up the hill with him.