Escape

20 YEARS LATER

   The town of Sallysville had changed a great deal since the start of the Children Suppression Initiative. The streets that were once full of children playing and laughing together, was now empty and appeared abandoned. Patrick Lionsgate lived outside the town. He was 79 years old now, and he was dying. He had long been trying to abolish the Children Suppression Initiative, or the ChSI as it was becoming more commonly known as. He knew that the ChSI had to end. He had one hope. His 11 year old grandson, Sean Pureheart.

   Sean Pureheart’s mother had passed away just minutes after giving birth to him, and his father was arrested for excessive drinking and attempted murder. It was suggested that Sean should be taken to a disciplinary orphanage, but Patrick made sure that didn’t happen. Although, Roger, Patrick’s butler, has been treating the poor lad unfairly, due to Roger being a supporter of the ChSI, Sean has loved living in his grandfather’s home. But there are a few events that occur that Sean doesn’t know.

   Every night, when Sean is asleep, Mark, his shadow, takes his solid form and watches over the young one, like a guardian angel. Mark has always wanted to get rid of the ChSI, so has his other shadow allies, and the shadow leader, Antonio. The night that he discovered that Patrick was dying, Mark began coming up with a plan. A plan to escape the house and go to the place that is rumored to be the headquarters of the ChFE, the Child Freedom Enforcers.

   Patrick was their leader. He created the ChFE 2 years after the final debate of the ChSI. For years, he has worked with them, to come up with a way to end the ChSI and bring Stoneheart to justice. And, for the longest time, he has been debating on telling Sean about the ChFE, but he never told the boy as of yet. He has been waiting for the right time. But he doesn’t have that kind of time anymore.

   One day, Sean was sitting, in his room, reading a book about the many battles of the ChFE, when Roger, entered the room, a disgusted look on his face. Sean saw Roger and he looked terrified.

   “What have I told you, about leaving your mess on the dinner table, child?” Roger asked in a cold, stern voice.

   “I-I’m s-sorry s-sir,” said Sean, looking frightened of what was about to happen. Roger slapped Sean in the face with the back of his hand. He clearly didn’t want to hear it. Mark watched, and he was infuriated. However, due to Antonio’s rules, he wasn’t allowed to emerge and interfere.

   All Mark could do was watch as Sean was getting punched and kicked on the ground. And then, something snapped inside of Mark. He felt anger like he had never felt before. Without realizing what he was doing, he solidified and punched Roger square in the jaw, causing Roger to stumble and fall back unconcious.

“Ow ow ow,” said Mark, holding his hand and shaking it. “That hurt so much. That’s the last time I punch anybo--”

   Mark was interrupted by Sean hugging him tightly.

   “Oh, thank you, thank you so much. Just one question. Who are you?” asked Sean as he let go.

   “Oh, yeah that’s right. My name is Mark, and I am your shadow,” Mark said with a smile on his face. Sean looked shocked.

   “You are my shadow? My guardian angel?” he asked.

   “Well, not exactly a guardian angel. I do watch over you and protect you while you sleep, but other than that, not really,” said Mark. Sean was still shocked. “Come on Sean, we are getting out of here.”

   “Wait, what about my grandfather?” Sean asked. Fear and concern was in his voice. He was worried about his grandfather, and didn’t want him dying alone.